Need help with DIY can light modding a mag lite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gbm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't know if anybody can help but I've build a can light and as of now tested it twice up to 70 feet.
The canister didn't leak on the second test, so I'm pretty much good to go there, but the modded maglite keep leaking. After 55 min underwater, there is like 5 ml of water inside.
I basicaly cut the portion of the maglite with the original on/off push switch and glue the head to the modded boddy with epoxy.
- The O-ring on the base of the mag where the electric wire comes in is the original. I greased it, even the threads, and the cord gland is made of copper compression fitting, everything glued together with epoxy. Once closed I've put soft silicone in the small crack to provide additional safety.
- The O-ring for the lens cover is the original. Same process than above, grease, and silicone to cover the small crack.
- The lens itself is 1/4 inch thick, I grooved half of it to have a O-ring going inside the lighthead, squeezed in by the lense and the inside wall of the maglite.
-The bezel O-ring is thicker. It's not a perfect fit, a little bit smaller diameter, but when I screw the cap, I push it in place so it can compress properly. Than added silicone around the outside by the lense itself, to prevent water to get in contact with the O-ring.

Still leaking !!!!!

Anybody out there can help me out? I would feel stupid after all the personnal investment just to go buy a stupid light.
I don't know where the water is coming from.

If you modded a maglite and it's water proof, let me know how you did it.

Have u tried looking over on Candlepowerforums? or Budgetlightforum for ideas??

Dive Lighting

I tried a while back to do the same thing but could not get it to seal reliably, small leak after a dive....which is shame because when it did work it was a blinder... I keep meaning to get it working again but got distracted with diving and other projects.. My build info is here...JohnohUK's Ramblings: Dive Light , if u find out a way of doing it... let us know...

you say you used the original switch on the maglite though --- i didn't think that was really pressure tight -- meaning the original maglite might have been a water-resistant seal but not designed to hold up at depth.. not sure but it's a possible culprit?

i'm modding my princton tec 40 & miniwave ii to convert them from halogen to led -- considering blue leds for the miniwave so can try out flurodiving... (once find the right ones) -- the tec 40 just replaced the bulb with an PR to led conversion bulb - seems fine and is a bit brighter than the orignal or at least whiter light.

no I'm not using the original switch...I cut the portion of the body with the switch on it and ditched it. The body is no just the portion without the switch hole. The switch will be on the canister.

i would say your leak is in the front lens, pictures would help on how you built the mag head? and what you used to glue it up ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom