Need help with Digital Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I know this is a question that is very open for debate, but I'm looking to purchase a digital camera and housing.

I want atleast 3.3 Megapixels, not interested in any strobes because I'm ignorant about them, plus they are too much for me right now. I figure with a camera/housing I'll be set back atleast $1300. Anyone have pics taken with a setup like this, you can email them to me at jepuskar76@comcast.net

Looks like I'm going to Bonaire in March, go figure. This is where it will be used first, unless I play in the pool before we go.

:)

Thanks everyone.

Jason

For 1300 you'd be able to go to a 5 mega-pixel with housing, strobe and macro lens if you shop around. A three megapixel camera with a housing will start in the 400-500 range.

You can currently pick up an Olympus 5050 plus housing for around $650 plus or minus if you do some shopping online. I't about as good as you'll find without investing in a DSLR and housing, then your're looking at some cash.

later

Steve

jepuskar:
Ok, I know this is a question that is very open for debate, but I'm looking to purchase a digital camera and housing.

I want atleast 3.3 Megapixels, not interested in any strobes because I'm ignorant about them, plus they are too much for me right now. I figure with a camera/housing I'll be set back atleast $1300. Anyone have pics taken with a setup like this, you can email them to me at jepuskar76@comcast.net

Looks like I'm going to Bonaire in March, go figure. This is where it will be used first, unless I play in the pool before we go.

:)

Thanks everyone.

Jason

Any reason to limit yourself to a 3MP camera? With your budget, like friscuba said, you can get a 5MP Oly C-5050, PT-015 housing, rechargeable NiMH batteries and charger, and at least a 256mg Compact Flash card.

i will agree with the previous jep for that budget you can get a complete package

rough totals for a c5050 package

c5050 ~ 600-650 (online)
PT-015 134 (newegg when they have them in stock they had some on friday but sold out in 2 hours) to around 175

sub total 734- 825
strobes are a personal choice but example the Sea&Sea YS90DX is around 550 so that brings it up to 1284-1375

then so you dont loose the set up you will probably want to get the coil lanyard to attach to your BC and thats about 10

so there you go you got a good setup, there are some other items that are nice like a tray (fisheye comes to mind) and then some lenses, etc. It seems that once you open this beast its a never ending battle to add to the setup.

jep your question was just like me when i was looking at gettting a setup and Dee was a big help, and Dee its all your fault for starting that wink but its been worth every penny

FWIW

Tooth

Hey! Part of the fun is spending someone elses money! I've spent all of mine! LOL!

If you don't want to spend that much look at any of Gilligan's work and his website. Much can be done without a strobe and with a Oly 4xxx series camera. However, I too would recommend:
the 5050/pt-015,
512 mb CF card,
128mb xD card (so you can do panorama shots if you ever want to),
two sets of 2200 NiMh batteries and charger, and
possibly a digital storage device like the Archos Multimedia Jukebox
or the ability to transfer images from the camera to CD IN THE FIELD.

Dee

lol yeah and dont you wish that you were getting a commision from the companies that you are endorsing :D, would help to pay for some of your trips ????

tooth

Scubatooth:
Dee

lol yeah and dont you wish that you were getting a commision from the companies that you are endorsing :D, would help to pay for some of your trips ????

tooth
Now that's a thought. :wink: I know that a couple of dive guests have bought olympus cameras because they like what they see when we dive.....
Lisa

Hey! I like that idea! wink

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom