Need help with C5050 Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RiverRat:
I would also think that the illuminator is useless underwater and should be shut off?

You're right. The illuminator is a focusing light for topside shooting at night or ion low light. It doesn't work that well through the housing. I turn it off.

Dee:
You're right. The illuminator is a focusing light for topside shooting at night or ion low light. It doesn't work that well through the housing. I turn it off.

I leave my focus light on uw because it does work on images taken from 2-4 feet away. The problem with the focus light is paralax; when you are close to the subject, the focus light is pointing above the object. For closer images, you will find that a modeling light will do wonders for the camera's auto-focus in low light situations and at night. You can attach a small uw light to the housing or arms and point it at the object you are trying to photograph.

Another reason people have trouble achieving focus is that they are trying to get too close to the subject. The camera cannot be closer to the object than 8 inches in macro or 1 inch in supermacro and achieve focus.

jlyle:
I leave my focus light on uw because it does work on images taken from 2-4 feet away. The problem with the focus light is paralax; when you are close to the subject, the focus light is pointing above the object. For closer images, you will find that a modeling light will do wonders for the camera's auto-focus in low light situations and at night. You can attach a small uw light to the housing or arms and point it at the object you are trying to photograph.

Another reason people have trouble achieving focus is that they are trying to get too close to the subject. The camera cannot be closer to the object than 8 inches in macro or 1 inch in supermacro and achieve focus.

More great info! I just did a "dive" in the tub (my wife thinks I'm nuts) I shot in Aperture priority mode, most shots at f 4.0 and some up to f 8.0 to mess with depth of field. I tried slow1 flash but in the white tub it just washed out the shots. AUTO seemd to work the best, I was shooting in Macro mode. I was surprised at how well the camera focused and how well the zoom worked in that mode. I now have enough skills to get started on some real dive shots at 1 - 3 feet. White balance was set to AUTO and being in the white tub seemed to acurrately capture colors. Well so far I have some nice clear shots of a Pepsi can and some kids toys :) Thanks again....

Dee:

Thanks Dee! I'm sure when I go to a strobe the modeling light is the way to go for focusing anyway....Contemplating the Inon D180 when funds permit.

RiverRat:
....Contemplating the Inon D180 when funds permit.

You'll be glad you did!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom