Need help with C5050 Macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone give me some help on how to set my camera (C-5050Z)for a good macro? I can't seem to get it. I'm trying to take pictures of the corals in my aquarium. Thanks so much!

I assume you mean supermacro? If you are in macro mode, you won't be able to achieve focus closer than 8 inches from the subject. With supermacro, you can get as close as 1 inch, but the flash won't fire except in slave. In slave, you can adjust the light output from 1 to 10. A focusing light will help the autofocus.

How do I adjust the slave flash? Thanks Jim.

I'll wait to Jlyles response so I don't confuse things!

Ok Jim, I figured out the adjustment, it really helps. Dee, I know you know some stuff about the macro shooting. Can you give me some pointers as well?

KidK9:
How do I adjust the slave flash? Thanks Jim.

From your post, I guess you've figured it out, but here goes just in case you haven't:

[ok], mode menu >, camera >, down to flash >, pick slave >, up or down to adjust flash intensity, [ok] three times.

The other option is to buy a macro lens adapter like the Oly PCU-01. With it, you remain in macro mode, zoom in to 80 mm, and focus between 2 and 3 inches from the object. This allows you to use the camera's flash and achieve the same magnification as supermacro. If you buy the Inon macro lens adapters, you can stack them for greater magnification.

jlyle:
I assume you mean supermacro? If you are in macro mode, you won't be able to achieve focus closer than 8 inches from the subject. With supermacro, you can get as close as 1 inch, but the flash won't fire except in slave. In slave, you can adjust the light output from 1 to 10. A focusing light will help the autofocus.

HI,

I recently got the c5050 too. Does the Super Macro (SFlowerMF) work only with a strobe(slave?) or with the internal flash as well? The flash does not illuminate the lower left side. I keep getting a blind spot with pictures taken in the 1.2 - 2 in. range. I think the flash is too close to the lense, hence the dark corner (in situations with no light). In daylight I don't get that since I don't keep the internal flash on.

Excuse the ignorance on some terms (I'm new to this)

Thanks,
Dim.

Kid....If you're shooting pics of the coral in your aquarium, through the glass, I'd use the regular macro mode and zoom, unless your tank is more than 2ft wide. I have a 120gal tank that wide and that's what I used for photos. If you could tell me the distance form camera to subject, that would help.

Dim....the internal flash is disabled in SMacro mode. they did this because the lens barrel is in the way of the flash, causing a shadow. But if the cameras flash is in slave mode, it will fire to trigger a strobe.

I'm shooting my nano-tank, a 7gal minibow. All corals are 6"-12" away or even less if I put my lens up to the glass. Thanks so much for the help DeeGod(dess).

KidK9:
I'm shooting my nano-tank, a 7gal minibow. All corals are 6"-12" away or even less if I put my lens up to the glass.
Since the water is crystal clear, I don't think using the zoom is going to diminish the quality at all. Ever thought about using a black light on them for photos?

Thanks so much for the help DeeGod(dess).
Aw Shucks....I'll be sure to tell Beast you said so!

Back
Top Bottom