Need help with BCD selection (back inflate)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For your budget the best back inflate BC IMO is without a doubt the Zeagle Express Tech. You can find them for around 250 new and by adding a crotch strap (I make my own for about $7) 4 d rings and sliders and a metal buckle from Piranha Dive Gear, you come in under 300 for a BC that is infinitely adjustable, rugged, has no inherent buoyancy, and can actually be modified easily for side mount or small doubles. Wings are interchangeable and range from 23 to 35 lbs of lift. Integrated weight systems are available for it but IMO not necessary. I use a belt with mine in addition to an XS scuba weight pouch on each cam band. Using these trims it out just like my plate and wing. I did a review of it a while back with pics of my set up. I have gone to the 35lb wing on mine since I dive steel tanks.

Just an FYI - back inflates do not push you forward on the surface. What pushes divers forward is improper weighting coupled with over inflation of the BC. All that needs to be out of the water is your chin. Some people seem to like floating chest high. If you need to have more out of the water with a back inflate you just lean back and relax. Just like being on a pool raft.

The review is here: Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator Review

I just put together exactly what you recommended. It's my 4th back inflate over the last 30 years (not to mention an ill-fated jacket that just won't die), clearly the best and most cost effective solution of the bunch. Not only well made and durable, it packs up very small for travel.

For your budget the best back inflate BC IMO is without a doubt the Zeagle Express Tech. You can find them for around 250 new and by adding a crotch strap (I make my own for about $7) 4 d rings and sliders and a metal buckle from Piranha Dive Gear, you come in under 300 for a BC that is infinitely adjustable, rugged, has no inherent buoyancy, and can actually be modified easily for side mount or small doubles. Wings are interchangeable and range from 23 to 35 lbs of lift. Integrated weight systems are available for it but IMO not necessary. I use a belt with mine in addition to an XS scuba weight pouch on each cam band. Using these trims it out just like my plate and wing. I did a review of it a while back with pics of my set up. I have gone to the 35lb wing on mine since I dive steel tanks.

Just an FYI - back inflates do not push you forward on the surface. What pushes divers forward is improper weighting coupled with over inflation of the BC. All that needs to be out of the water is your chin. Some people seem to like floating chest high. If you need to have more out of the water with a back inflate you just lean back and relax. Just like being on a pool raft.

The review is here: Zeagle Express Tech Buoyancy Compensator Review

I have looked at this one as well and have seen nothing but good reviews about it. But, I think it may be a bit too minimalistic for me. No weight system, no trim pockets, no shoulder padding, no pockets. And I doubt I'll be using doubles anytime soon. I do like that it's very light weight and packs well. I'm currious how you made the crotch strap. Can you provide more details on this?

If you read my review you can see that you add your own trim pockets on the cam bands. Shoulder padding is not needed. Even with no shirt in the water it doesn't bother me. There are several integrated weight systems available from zeagle. The one I recommend for those who think they have to have one is the zip touch. I personally don't like integrated weights unless it is the 4lb plates bolted to my steel.backplate used for drysuit diving.

Most BC pockets are just this side of useless. Put pockets on your suit thighs, get a thigh pocket from dive rite or oms, and if you never dive doubles no big deal. I just like having the option.

A homemade crotch strap is no more than a couple slides and a few feet of two inch nylon webbing from any fabric or craft store. The zeagle already has the attachment point. Others you'd likely have to jury rig something that "would void your warranty" as if on a bc anyone would care about that.
Sent from my DeROID X2 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom