Need Help with Article on Getting Bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would now fall into the deserved category since, despite my efforts to control known factors, I still get hits. So basically if I continue to dive, knowing the risk, I “deserve” to get hit.

BTW. I have choosen not to dive my upcoming trip to St Kitts since there seems to be no nitrox on the island and for safety reason I don’t dive air. But if I change my mind and dive air I will deserve any hit I get.

I have no idea what I could learn from my hit. None whatsoever. As a trimix diver and instructor, I regularly do tech dives between 250-300 feet. I would estimate that my average dive between June and December last year was about 220 feet. I have done a lot of dives over the decades without the slightest hint of DCS. I know I don't have a PFO because of tests done for other reasons.

I got bent after two dives that barely went into deco and on which I tripled the amount of deco time indicated on my computer. So what do I do differently when I start to dive again?

My post was not intended to be critical to you AT ALL. One point is not a dataset. In your case, it was clearly an outlier. An anomaly. By itself, it doesn't seem, to ME, to suggest any change in what you've been doing.

The thing it seems we can all learn from it is that, ANYONE can have an Undeserved hit, at ANY time. Sometimes they just happen, for no reason that a lay understanding of deco theory could have possibly predicted. And often not even a professional expert understanding. So, always be prepared. Have O2 handy. Have an emergency action plan. Make sure people know where you are and when to expect you to check in. Even on the most innocuous-seeming dive.

..I got bent after two dives that barely went into deco ...
I've got friends that got bent bad and their computers were not even in caution.

When you say 2 dives......was it the first 2 dives of a multi-day trip or the middle/end 2 dives of a multi-day trip?

I would now fall into the deserved category since, despite my efforts to control known factors, I still get hits. So basically if I continue to dive, knowing the risk, I “deserve” to get hit.

BTW. I have choosen not to dive my upcoming trip to St Kitts since there seems to be no nitrox on the island and for safety reason I don’t dive air. But if I change my mind and dive air I will deserve any hit I get.

Like I said before, to me it's only deserved if you keep doing the same things, with no change. In your case, you have worked the problem. You got Adv Nitrox certification and dive with O2. To my understanding, you are not just continuing to do the same things over and over.

Also, as I just said to John, anything that happens once is not, by itself, a dataset. It's not a reason to necessarily change. So, if you've been working it and changing your diving and you still got bent, it could still be that the one time, since your latest changes to your diving, is an anomaly.

It's not (necessarily) when something happens once. It's when you've established a clear pattern and you still don't change. At that point, it could be Deserved. However, don't misconstrue that to be insulting. We're all taking calculated risks when we dive. If you have the knowledge and experience and you choose to dive knowing that you have a higher-than-normal risk of DCS, and then you take a hit, it might be deserved, but that doesn't (in MY mind, anyway) say anything bad about you as a person or a diver. You knew the risks, you did it anyway. I find that way more respectable than someone that takes a hit because they did something that elevated their risk, but they did so out of ignorance or through poor skills. They might both be deserved, but one person can still be an idiot and another person be a good, smart diver, taking a calculated risk and getting unlucky.

I raced motorcycles for many years. I had some crashes. I have a permanent disability from one of my on-track accidents. Is my disability deserved? Absolutely. I chose to be there, knowing the risks. Does that mean I'm dumb? Well, I don't think so, but some people would say emphatically yes. Does that mean I am (or was) a bad racer? I don't think so. I won regional championships. I have one of the best records of (almost no) crashes and DNFs (Did Not Finish) of any trophy-winning motorcycle racer I know. I was not great, but I think I was a pretty good racer. But, my crashes and injuries still qualify (in my mind) as "Deserved".

I have no issues and high respect for people who knowingly accept risk, pursue their goals anyway, and do it in a highly skilled way. Overcoming challenges is way more respect-earning than doing something that comes easily with no problems. I have way more respect for you, Lisa, what you do, and how you go about it, than the vast majority of divers who dive and never get bent but it's because of pure random luck. You've been bent. You've taken steps to mitigate that risk. You are a really good diver. And you keep diving because you love it. I think that is awesome!

I've got friends that got bent bad and their computers were not even in caution.

When you say 2 dives......was it the first 2 dives of a multi-day trip or the middle/end 2 dives of a multi-day trip?
It was just a dive day. I had not been diving for a number of days before that.

I have no idea what I could learn from my hit. None whatsoever. As a trimix diver and instructor, I regularly do tech dives between 250-300 feet. I would estimate that my average dive between June and December last year was about 220 feet. I have done a lot of dives over the decades without the slightest hint of DCS. I know I don't have a PFO because of tests done for other reasons.

I got bent after two dives that barely went into deco and on which I tripled the amount of deco time indicated on my computer. So what do I do differently when I start to dive again?

What time was your surface interval?

Is there any chance it was a lung shunt boulderjohn, did you have to climb a ladder or similar, I have a closed PFO that bent me a few times pre-titanium, but I understand that there are cases of non-apparent PFO's that can open under physical load, so the flap is there but not sealed evidently.

That said these usually present with neurological symptoms.

Not only that, but you were diving your computer on a conservative setting, that may not have even been deco at a more liberal setting, or on a more liberal computer. If you don't mind, what were the GF settings you used on these two dives?

Despite having nearly 1,700 successful dives using the DSAT decompression algorithm on no stop and light deco dives, as I get older, I'm increasingly concerned about my potential risk of DCS with this relatively liberal algorithm. In the last several years, I have changed to an adaptive safety stop strategy as well as padding my short, shallow deco obligations by 3-5 minutes. Sometimes, I worry that this is simply a statistical issue and that, if I dive enough, someday, the factors will simply align and I will have a DCS hit. Perhaps that's what happened to you.

Not only that, but you were diving your computer on a conservative setting, that may not have even been deco at a more liberal setting, or on a more liberal computer. If you don't mind, what were the GF settings you used on these two dives?

Despite having nearly 1,700 successful dives using the DSAT decompression algorithm on no stop and light deco dives, as I get older, I'm increasingly concerned about my potential risk of DCS with this relatively liberal algorithm. In the last several years, I have changed to an adaptive safety stop strategy as well as padding my short, shallow deco obligations by 3-5 minutes. Sometimes, I worry that this is simply a statistical issue and that, if I dive enough, someday, the factors will simply align and I will have a DCS hit. Perhaps that's what happened to you.
50/85

" I worry that this is simply a statistical issue and that, if I dive enough, someday, the factors will simply align and I will have a DCS hit."

I actually think this is true, and something very important to consider...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom