Question Need help with an AL Titan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the incorporation of the spacer with the small opening was an effort to keep water out of the first stage? Seems odd to me but if it doesn't effect performance, who am I to question the AL engineers.

So the incorporation of the spacer with the small opening was an effort to keep water out of the first stage? Seems odd to me but if it doesn't effect performance, who am I to question the AL engineers.

Interesting notion. Where did you get this info from?

-Z

My mistake. You said it was to improve nitrox compatibility. When you spoke of rental gear and difficulty of inspection with the small opening my mind went to like it was a simple ACD attempt. What purpose does that smaller opening have. I get the material change from nylon to stainless but don't get the small opening. Why not just go to the washer we all see now and skip that small opening?

My mistake. You said it was to improve nitrox compatibility. When you spoke of rental gear and difficulty of inspection with the small opening my mind went to like it was a simple ACD attempt. What purpose does that smaller opening have. I get the material change from nylon to stainless but don't get the small opening. Why not just go to the washer we all see now and skip that small opening?
I don't have that answer...perhaps it was their thinking that the sintered filter needed to be supported, perhaps like you wrote that it inhibited ingress of water, perhaps that washer was "borrowed" from a different 1st stage where the specifications of it actually had a purpose, or perhaps it was a way to keep things a bit more proprietary for Aqualung, who knows. The germane thing is that the washer you currently have in place is ok and poses no risk or detriment to your 1st stage's performance and can continue living up against your sintered filter if you desire, or you can replace it. Either way, doesn't matter...on 2nd thought, your Titan is old and poses a threat to you and anyone in your vicinity when you dive; you should immediately send it to me for proper disposal. :wink:

The funny thing is that I bought an old Titan 1st stage off of ebay sometime in the past year, and one of the first things I did was pull the HP side apart to check the condition of everything...I noted the washer with the small opening and was going to post a similar question to yours when I came across a 2017 post by buddhasummer inquiring about the same washer design in a Titan that he purchased. It prompted me to peruse the collection of Aqualung spare parts manuals and other documents I have collected and found the info about the running change.

-Z

Well again, there is no explaining the weird s---t that people do or in this case a company like AL :wink:. Someone must have had a well thought out reason and I am waiting to hear it other than it just being some weird things that come to be. I will not discount the possibility that it made total sense to somebody at some time, and then it did not, thus the note on the PL.

Back
Top Bottom