need help,what TTL mean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rider

New
Reaction score
Hi guys
I am a begganer with U/w photography ,I looked for a digital camera and I think I will chose OLYMPOS C5060 with PT-20, now I am looking for a strobe, I don't know what I chose,and I don't know what TTL mean?

Thank you

TTL = Through The Lens - it refers to the method used to meter light. A Google search would turn up a lot of information, TTL is not specific to underwater cameras.

From http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#ttl

TTL (through the lens) flash metering.

The earliest electronic flashes required the photographer to perform distance calculations by hand. Later, the first generation of automatic electronic flash units relied upon external sensors to determine the flash exposure setting. These sensors, mounted on the front of the flash unit, simply recorded the flash bulb’s light, reflected back from subject, and cut off the power when enough light for a satisfactory exposure was determined.

Of course, such external sensors were easily fooled. The sensor might, for example, cover more or less area than the lens currently in use. So Olympus pioneered through-the-lens flash metering in the mid 1970s with the OM2. Canon later included TTL flash metering in their T90 camera a decade later.

TTL flash metering works by measuring the pulse of flash-generated light bouncing back off the subject and entering the lens. It actually measures this light reflecting off the surface of the film itself, in realtime, by using an off the film (OTF) sensor. The light from the flash bulb is quenched when the sensor determines enough light has been produced to achieve a satisfactory flash exposure to get a mid-toned subject.

try this link for some additional photo terms:photo terms

for some folks, myself included, TTL stands for transitor-transitor logic. It's an electronics term.

35.gif

Check out these two websites:

1. This one pertains to manual camera settings and an opinion on TTL versus manual strobe settings.
2. This one is a strobe comparison article.

Rider:
Hi guys
I am a begganer with U/w photography ,I looked for a digital camera and I think I will chose OLYMPOS C5060 with PT-20, now I am looking for a strobe, I don't know what I chose,and I don't know what TTL mean?

Thank you

Damn...I thought that was Tag, Title and License

Back
Top Bottom