Need help to setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loeth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Would like for someone to help me with a good 1st time setup but there is a catch if you can say it like that, i'm from Denmark and i dive in both ocean and lakes/quarry so dive in water with algae, and there isn't always that much light. i'm pretty new to the uw Photo/video deal but i tried a sealife dc1200 and got really interested in Photo after that. i have been looking on a sony rx100 with Nauticam house, flexitray and one sola Photo 2000 or 2x sola Photo 800, many a Inon h100 type2 and dome over time. hope someone can help with the pros and cons or some better alternatives. Thanks for the help

The Sony RX100 has a key problem in low lit conditions and it is the live LCD. Essentially unless you have a strong focus light the image on the LCD will reflect the actual metering of ambient light even when you have a strobe and there is a chance you won't be able to see what you are shooting on the LCD. Other cameras (i.e. Panasonic LX5/7 or Canon S series) have a brighter image on the LCD until you half press this allows you to see what you are shooting without a focus light
Looks like you are buying a Sola you can start with a dive 800 that is spot and flood and will work in the future as video light, or maybe get a Sola 1200. In your conditions you will need the light from the start to take photos. for video you always need two lights unless you only do super close ups of small creatures

thanks for the tips, exept for the LCD is bad at low lit conditions is the rx100 what you would call good for underwater use? or would i get better experience with lx7 or s110. sounds like you dont like the sola, so if you have a alternative there is better to a price near the sola i'll be happy to hear it, can see you have some experince and i really like your pics

Last edited:
The Sola are top choice I have two 1200 for video and the RX100 is excellent for pictures.
The issue with the LCD is one of the few drawbacks of the camera. The RX100 essentially needs a focus light and add on lenses just to get you going.
If you plan on pictures I would get a Sola Dive 800 because it can change from spot to flood and replaces a light on night dives, if you have more money get a video 1200. The photo version have a red stealth mode that is not as useful as it seems and they are only flood.
What size of creature you plan on shooting with your camera?
Also consider the RX100 is a camera that is not as easy to use compared to others and will take some time to get up to good quality photos. The RX100 does produce the best compact pictures but I don't think is for everyone

my priority is foto with the possibility of shooting video's. in denmark there isn't always creatures to shoot so will also go for landscape if you can call it that, i dont intend to use if for macro, more like the Photos you have in the "Best of St Lucia 2012" and "Grenada" albums if that helps. i will differently get a 1200 cause i dont need to see it to guess 800 isnt enouth to Danish waters. I'd really appreciate your help

For those photos you need a wide angle lens. If you don't shoot macro and stay around 30cm you don't need a close up lens.
Focus light is really for closer things, having a spot helps cutting through murky water but also creates some reflections

happy shooting!

So if i take the time to learn the rx100 and get a nauticam, inon h100 plus dome and a 1200nauticam sola video light im good to go? And thanks im really looking forward to start shoot

Yes that sound like a good set up to me that will cover plenty of shooting situation. you can even start without the dome but if you have money get it as it will allow to get closer

I have made a spacer ring to allow the Inon UFL165AD (an older lens that you can find on ebay or new and is cheaper than the dome UWL-H100) but this will require a fix M67-ADF adapter on top. If you plan to keep the fisheye on all times it may not be worth it

i plan to go with the same setup every time in the start so i can learn the settings and get some experience without having to compensate for new and different equipment, since i rarely took pics before so dont know much about lighting, iso, wb, so have some catching up to but looking forward to being able to get shots like yours

---------- Post added April 2nd, 2013 at 07:24 PM ----------

one last thing is what lens and dome is good to get to the setup ? i have looked af the Inon Dome Unit II and Inon UWL-H100 type II or 28M67

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom