Need help to make a choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katolix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dear All,

I’m quite new to diving and I’m going to buy my first 5-mm wetsuit. It’s important to mention that I’m located quite far from diving sites and at best I’ll have a couple dive tours a year in the nearest future (Red Sea mostly, summer or winter). I’m quite tolerant to could, but nothing particular or extreme :snowbear:

Our LDS offer not many choices of wetsuit brands for recreational diving: Aqualung, Beuchat and Waterproof. I wouldn’t say I’m short in budget and I can’t afford the top suite set of any brand, but I’d rather save some money for other gear or another hobby. I’m breaking between two choices that seem to be best fit for my needs (implying both fit well when tried on). First one is Aqualung Balance Comfort which comprises 5.5 mm jumpsuit, over vest (5.5 mm shorty) and separate 5.5 mm hood. The price is about $600. The second option is Waterproof Lynx. I looked at both in the LDS and the last one has really outstanding quality, anatomic design and military price - $480 for jumpsuit only. The hooded over vest can be purchased separately with price of $300 (over vest w/o hood is also available). So the total price for Waterproof Lynx would be $780. Too much for the novice diver, isn’t it? :526:

I’m really curious is the over vest worth buying it? I could buy Lynx jumpsuit only and save 300 dollars for nice things like Suunto D4 computer or good boots, gloves and fins. I mean does it make me feel much toastier when worn while winter diving in the Red Sea? Is that necessary to wear an over vest in 18-21C degrees water having 5 mm jumpsuit? Does it depend on diving depth (I mean not temperature, but warm preserving property)? I’m just trying to understand if the over vest is the must have option for winter diving in the warm seas.
Thanks.

for all year round 3mm suit (no vest & no hood) is enough for most people; some wear 1mm hoods though
hope to c u there :)

IMO, those prices seem high at least compared to online US prices. For comparison here's what I've spent on wetsuits.

$100 for my 3.5mm Cressi-Sub fullsuit (same price still available at leisurepro.com), and ~$170 for my 7mm Cressi-Sub iirc. I bought a used hooded vest for $30 or so from a SB member; I can use it under either suit. Before those suits I used a 3mm Bodyglove fullsuit that was also $100 (but it stopped fitting after a few years).

Currently I use custom neoprene socks that cost $15 a pair (5mm and 7mm) from a member here at SB (liquidfit). I also have Camaro 6mm boots that cost about $30 from sierratradingpost.com (STP regularly offer 10-20% discounts in addition to their "sale" prices).

For hoods, I have a 12mm custom hood from Otterbay that cost $90, a Bare 7mm that came with my drysuit, a 2mm Henderson Ice Cap (underhood) that was about $35-40, and 5 or 6mm Camaro wetsuit hood, which probably cost around $20 - not sure anymore.

For gloves I have 1mm and 5mm Camaro gloves that cost $15 each at the time (from STP).

Most of those prices are on the low end (except the custom and ice cap hoods), but if you have a body type that fits most size charts fairly well, I'd just order online and look for sales (STP, leisurepro.com, scubatoys.com, scuba.com, are some of many good sellers in the US) . You can usually return items if they don't fit anyway, though I'm not sure how it works in Russia.

This is the reality of being in Europe (I mean the prices). The only option to catch good stuff at resonable price is to go to the diving place (e.g. Egypt) and buy it there. However, in this case you'd better foget about 1-year warranty and service.
I'd never buy a suit in a e-shop, just because I need to try it on. Returning procedure is a nightmare here.

What size are you? Height, weight, etc... I have a Tilos two piece 3mm farmer john (overhauls and long sleeve short leg combo) that gives you 3mm in the legs and arms with 6mm in the core body area. I'd sell it to you cheap, and it is hardly used (mayby 10 dives). I don't use it, and it is like new. I am 5'8" (172cm) and 175 lbs (80 kgs). It is slightly large on me, so it could work for someone taller or heavier, say up to 180 cm and 85 kgs.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm 183 cm and 98 kgs - a bit larger for that suit. Anyway, thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom