Need Help Setting Up BP/Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver once bubbled...

One small step for Scott...

It's just a matter of time now.......:D
I'll be the first to admit if I find the set-up superior. :D

I am very intriqued by the equipment and philosophy of DIR(redundancy, being physically fit). It does take somewhat of a blind leap of faith, in that no one rents this stuff. The local dealer here in Tampa explained that if he rented a halcyon to me, it would fit only me afterwards. So, I'm doing it, buying the whole set-up. I'll run my equipment list by here for any suggestions. If I don't like it, I'll post my link on eBAY.

I do have one question. I have seen photos of steel HP tanks used with BP/wings. Why can't I continue to use my HP 100s with DIN? I am told that by swithing to steel LP, I can be assured that I won't need a weight belt? The one thing I have learned about dive shops, is that 50% say, "We hate HP, and here is why," While the other 50% say, "We hate LP, and here is why." Personally, I dislike LP. My God, I can't imagine lugging two LP 120s on my back. I'm strong, but I'm not Hulk Hogan. Furthermore, all my primary and back-up stuff is already HP and DIN, so the idea of swithing everything around, and buying new tanks,is not appealing.

In DIR, is one recommended over the other (HP v. LP).

Scott,

First of all, the local Halcyon dealer is not too swift. He could rent you a backplate and wings, and sell a 10 foot piece of webbing to you for $10-$15. Include the fitting charges in the rental cost. That would fit EVERYONE and he'd make some money. But I digress..

DIN is not the issue. In fact, it's the recommended adapter. Are you diving drysuit or wetsuit?

Detroit Diver,

Good point. I'll go ahead and buy the stuff anyway, just because I want to give the system a totally fair shot, which will involve several training dives, followed by some wreck dives.

I'm diving wetsuit only. 75% of the time I use only a 1/2 mil skin (or t-shirt), 15% a 3 mil, winter diving (10%) up to a 5 mil w/ hood. I might get a 7 mil if the Gulf temp plummets, but that would represent a very small fraction of my overall diving. Thanks.

Scott

P.S.: I am now back to considering the Zeagle, since it may be better suited for spearfishing, as long as it handles doubles well.

If you are going to be diving wet in the ocean, get a set of AL80's and double those up. Steel is almost impossible to swim up where you can't crawl out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom