Need help putting together backplate/wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Velvetear

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought the Golem 35 Lbs SS Combo and I need help putting it together. I ended up with two metal pieces and several plastic pieces leftover when I was done. Also, the backplate and the wing nuts dig into my back. I'm not sure what I did wrong! Can anyone help???

Pictures

I'm not sure if this will help....
IMG_1186.jpg

This is what I have left over...
leftover.jpg

it's woven right. The two extra slide locks are for the shoulder straps on the back side of the BC to keep the shoulders from pulling out. Rubber things hold the LPI hose onto the inflator, no clue what that ring is for....

As far as digging in, make sure the wing nuts are tight, but backplates do that... The wetsuit will get rid of that and a lot of wetsuits have a thick spot along the spine to help that

I cant tell from the photo, but if that ring is bungee strap then it is to hold your inflator hose in place. You can attatch it to your left shoulder strap with one of those slides.

The rubber bands go on the shoulder straps between the D-rings and the waist, to hold down the back-up lights, which are hung from the D-rings by bolt snaps. They break, so slide at least one extra on each side to have in place if you need it. The large O-ring is threaded next to and above the D-ring on the left, on the same tri-glide, to hold the inflator hose in place. It's hard to know what to say about the bolts digging--they shouldn't, and will tear a hole in your drysuit if they do. The bolts might be too long, in which case you can cut them down or replace them with shorter ones. (I see you have the tank straps threaded through the BP, so perhaps you can do without the STA altogether. If you're just using the bolts to hold the wing to the plate, try these instead.) Plates have different degrees of bend too, and the deeper the channel, the further you can keep the wing nut and bolt from your back. I would exchange the Steam BP for a standard SS plate, which will spread the weight over a larger area. Also, the waist buckle is usually placed on the other side.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom