Need help picking a dive location

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi. My family and I are going on a cruise with Carnival (Glory) in Jan 2011. We're taking the Caribbean cruise with stops at Cozumel, Belize City, Grand Cayman, and Roatan. I would like dive at one of these locations (only one, as wife and kids probably won't appreciate me being gone for too many of the shore times).
Carnival advertises several options (will probably go with them to avoid headaches of getting to and from ship, it's my first cruise):

Belize - Turneffe Atoll (no operator listed)
Cozumel - Sand Dollar (no dive site listed)
Grand Cayman - West Wall (no operator listed)
Roatan - Anthony's key (no dive site listed)

Since I only get a 2-tank dive outing on this trip, I'd like to make it a good one.

To give some background on my experience and what I'm looking for - I have my advanced diver cert, about 55 dives logged. I've dived in Malaysia (Sipadan), Thailand (Similan Islands), Dominican Republic (Catalina Island), Mexico (Mayan Riviera cenote), Canada (various lakes). I'm basically looking for a fun dive with lots to see. I'm not a picky diver, I just like to see an abundance of marine life, and healthy corals, etc, instead of dead/bleached out corals and sandy bottomes with a few fish.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

PN

I would say no to Belize since the top side attractions are worth going to.

The Caymans were my favorite diving - you should see southern sting rays, large goat fish and probably turtles. The corals on the west side will be less healthy.

Cozumel will probably be drift diving.

Roatan reefs are in pretty good shape - numbers of fish are luck of the draw.

I dived the same itinerary in 2000 with Celebrity. I would deifinitely bag Belize. Long boat ride to mediocre diving. The Grand Cayman diving was okay but was deifinitely a cattle boat. Anthonys Key was good diving and they made a real effort to keep the numbers down on the boat. Sand Dollar will do a good job in Cozumel and its probably the best diving that is near a cruise ship pier. If I had only one to do I would probably opt for Cozumel based on the variety of marine life and short boat rides. You may want to consider a charter for a group of 4 in Cozumel. Worth the extra effort for the service and option to choose where you want to go.

I concur with Coz. There are a number of op's that will cater to cruiser's. I have done all my diving on Coz from land with Aldora divers (aldora.com) and they will hook you up from the cruise ship. I would definitely go independent and not with who the cruise ship hooks you up with.

the cruise ship industry from what I have seen is bending over backwards to help their passengers these days, ask for more specifics - re the operators and contact them yourself. Why not dive more than one ? G cayman - Roatan and Coz.

the cruise ship industry from what I have seen is bending over backwards to help their passengers these days, ask for more specifics - re the operators and contact them yourself. Why not dive more than one ? G cayman - Roatan and Coz.

Because, as he said, his familly wouldn't apprciate it. Of your choices I too would concur Cozumel is your best option of diving and missing the least cool stuff topside.

I just came off the same cruise on January 3rd. We dove both Cozumel and Belize.
Cozumel was the better diving as the viz was about 100ft but the Sand Dollar boat was a cattle boat, very crowed, old shabby boat.
I have dove Belize before on a cruise with Carnival Valor. Both times we used Hugh Parkey's and they are the best and most professional outfit I have ever used. The boat trip is about an hour but they get you back to the ship in plenty time.
You have to decide either less crowding and good diving in Belize or a cattle boat with great diving in Cozumel. Don't get me wrong, the Turneffe Atol in Belize is great. We saw alot of lion fish, angel fish, hog fish, rock beauties etc. even some dolphin on the ride back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom