need help narrowing down liveaboard for next Xmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robin - what time of year where you in Palau? 98% compared to 25% is a big difference....

We have done land based Hawaii from the Big Island and I was trying to get my husband to go again in Feb (airfare is $300 from here) but he has to go to China on business :depressed:

We were there the first week of Dec, beginning of shark mating season. :D

Hi Karen,
It is impossible to recommend any dive centres/resorts in Bunaken and Lembeh because there are so many of them to suit various requirements. I dived with Sulawesi Seaquest(Bunaken) and Two Fish(Lembeh) before and they were fine. Both of them are budget operators though.
There are loads of info on both places on Indonesia section in this board. Digest them and pick what you fancy and you will not be disappointed.
7 days would be a absolute minimum to dive both places but some photographers keep returning to Lembeh yr after yr and never satisfy. BTY, if U are in adventuous mood and do not mind packing and repacking every 3 days please include Banga Island as well.
Regards.

Have you considered the Star Dancer boat in PNG? A nice combo of big and small stuff?

I believe the boat is moving to a different location (Milne Bay) in the new year.

First, almost any live aboard will be a step above Blackbeards, if not 2 or 3. I've been on some crap boats that would seem very roomy compared to Blackbeards.

Ease of travel: I'd go with either 1) Fiji on the Naia or 2) High end boat in Thailand.

There are no other flights after you arrive in Fiji in order to board the Naia. You would likely fly to Bangkok, then to Phuket, but it's a pretty easy transfer. Overnighting in Bangkok isn't expensive and spending a bit of time in Bangkok is worthwhile, political unrest not withstanding.

Sorry, I'm just not that in to Palau. You can get there in one straight shot, but check out your routing. Yours would be shorter than mine, but I went Dallas-Houston-Hawaii-Guam-Koror and had plenty long airport layovers in each. I arrived each way near mental death, although a shorter trip miles wise.

I found Thailand least drifty, but each of these destinations has a multitude of sites that have either strong or weak currents. Lunar cycles, tides and site geography all play in, so levels of current can vary. I've dived Blue Corner in Palau with absolutely zero current, which meant there was nothing to see.

BTW, I think there are like 8,000 liveaboards in Thailand. Some are figuratively junk. Some are literally a Junk. :) So, it is possible to find something a step down from Blackbeards. Seek professional help in your selection.

BTW, I think there are like 8,000 liveaboards in Thailand. Some are figuratively junk. Some are literally a Junk. :) So, it is possible to find something a step down from Blackbeards. Seek professional help in your selection.
Actually only several dozen :wink:
But still it can be quite overwhelming to figure out on one's own who is going when for how much and with what amenities, and then to do a side-by-side comparison. You give good advice!

FYI: the extra jump out to Raja Ampat can be a little taxing, but Komodo is pretty easy.

Really, the diving in those places is worth it. Spend a night in Singapore or a couple days in Bali if you want to spread it out.

You want to do 11-12 night trips in these places.

I agree with others that the Nai'a would likely be the easiest trip from CA. I love Fiji and it would be a great trip. THe only reason I haven't gone on that boat yet is because the cost for the boat and airfare is the same or more to go all the way to Indonesia. The boat price is a bit higher but could be OK but the airfare is high as well for the relative distance. I guess that the trips to Asia are cheaper due to volume.

I also like Palau but you don't get the "meet the natives" experience there, though it is beauitful and has some renowned shark dives that you won't see in Indo.

I also like Palau but you don't get the "meet the natives" experience there, though it is beauitful and has some renowned shark dives that you won't see in Indo.
That's what a stopover in Yap is for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom