need help narrowing down liveaboard for next Xmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kmakay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi - I have been combing through the threads researching liveaboards but everytime I think I have it narrowed down, I end up back at square one.

We are looking for the following:
  • Asia or the Pacific Islands - open to others but not the Caribbean
  • don't want all drives to be drift/strong current (this was my concern with Palau)
  • would like some big stuff but we love to look for the little things (hence a good reason to not do all drift dives) so a mix is good but not required
  • somewhat easy to get to - leaving from San Francisco (dont mind a stop or 2 and having to stay at a hotel 1 night before boarding - but jumpers to other islands which adds cost with local airfare and extra hotels adds up quick - this was my concern with Komodo & Raja Ampat)
  • We are OK with 7, 10 or 11 days
Am I just being too picky here and does something even exist like what we're looking for? It seems like a lot of what I am finding in these 2 regions are mostly current dives.

We did Blackbeards right after we were certfied and loved it but were looking for a nicer experience than "camping at sea" - especially since the cost will be significianltly more.

Thanks for any insight, help, advise, and direction you can provide!

Hi - I have been combing through the threads researching liveaboards but everytime I think I have it narrowed down, I end up back at square one.

Have you considered Thailand? The time of year you are looking generally offers perfect dive conditions. It's the height of our high season.

We are looking for the following:

• Asia or the Pacific Islands - open to others but not the Caribbean
• don't want all drives to be drift/strong current (this was my concern with Palau)​
Our dives are mainly drifts, but they are gentle drifts, and if we look at the phase of the moon to book your cruise during a quarter moon, the tides (which cause the currents for the drifts) are small and the currents are more than manageable. We never need reef hooks here as they do at Palau, even when the currents are what we would call strong.

• would like some big stuff but we love to look for the little things (hence a good reason to not do all drift dives) so a mix is good but not required​
This describes our diving to a T.

• somewhat easy to get to - leaving from San Francisco (dont mind a stop or 2 and having to stay at a hotel 1 night before boarding - but jumpers to other islands which adds cost with local airfare and extra hotels adds up quick - this was my concern with Komodo & Raja Ampat)​
To come to Thailand, you would fly into Phuket via Bangkok, which is an easy itinerary from SFO, transiting through a major Asia hub such as Taipei, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul or Singapore. Thai has a nonstop from LAX to BKK.

• We are OK with 7, 10 or 11 days​
Most of our trips are between 4d/4n and 6d/6n, but there are a scattering of longer ones. Once our boats reach the islands, which are several hours sailing time offshore, the distance from one to the next is short, so we do lot of diving and not too much sailing.

Am I just being too picky here and does something even exist like what we're looking for? It seems like a lot of what I am finding in these 2 regions are mostly current dives.
No, you're not too picky. You are coming halfway around the world for a memorable experience. You should get what you want.

We did Blackbeards right after we were certfied and loved it but were looking for a nicer experience than "camping at sea" - especially since the cost will be significianltly more.

Thanks for any insight, help, advise, and direction you can provide!
We have quite a nice selection of mid-priced boats here. We don't have much as luxurious as the Dancer fleet, but we can get you on a nice boat with private heads, hot water showers, air conditioned cabins, Nitrox, good food for a price that will seem very reasonable without "camping at sea."

We have done some of the main SE Pacific sites and you can see trip reports for them at our site aquabluedreams.com. I would say that most of the destinations it is a mix of drift diving and putting along, no current. Even in Palau and Raja only about 25% of the dives are considered "drift". The one spot we both agree we will repeat first is Raja Ampat, a close second is PNG, and the Solomons running third. (Currently trying not to repeat destinations)

...and if we look at the phase of the moon to book your cruise during a quarter moon, the tides (which cause the currents for the drifts) are small and the currents are more than manageable.

It's amazing the number of divers that do not understand this basic concept.

Quero - thanks for all the detailed response. I am starting my research on Thailand now!

mjk - Raja Ampat was on the original list but kept reading about current. Based on your assessment of only 25%, I put it back on the list. We are ok with some dives being drift just not all. This spot keeps coming up as the "top" go to and/or return so I can't see traveling that far and not doing that one.

Research in full progress! Thanks!

In Palau, every dive we did was done as a drift with the exception of the 3 night dives, the wreck dive near Koror, Chandelier cavern, Mandarinfish night dive, and 2 dives at German Channel. (Current was ripping at German Channel so you had to kick constantly to stay in one place and watch the mantas) We did 26 total dives in Palau in the week.

Have you considered the Kona Aggressor? I think it would meet your needs nicely. Fly into Kailua-Kona airport on Big Island, your on the boat for a week, then return to town on Friday and can check into local hotel for a few days if you want. The Volcanoes National Park on the island is a must see, along with the other side of island where it is rainforests and waterfalls, very lush and tropical.

robin

Robin - what time of year where you in Palau? 98% compared to 25% is a big difference....

We have done land based Hawaii from the Big Island and I was trying to get my husband to go again in Feb (airfare is $300 from here) but he has to go to China on business :depressed:

Robin - what time of year where you in Palau? 98% compared to 25% is a big difference....
I think the main difference is between 'diving with a strong current' and 'a drift dive where the boat follows you, entry and exit point are not the same'. The latter is the habit in many places, also here at Similans, and does not have any connection with the strength of the current.

Would you consider land based?
How about Bunakan and Lembeh in Northern Sulawesi, Indonesia.
Lembeh is world famous for macro critters while Bunakan offers deep wall dive with occasional large stuff. Please check with the local dive centre for weather pattern in Dec. I am yet to come across any photographer who is not impressed with Lembeh.
Flight from San Francisco to Singapore(non-stop) and then onward to Manado(Silk Air) on the following morning. Silk Air do not fly to Manado everyday so please check with flight schedule. Singapore, a very civilized and safe place to spend a day or two before or after the trip.

Would you consider land based?
QUOTE]

We have and I had previosuly done a bit of research on Lembah. Do you have a recomendation on where to stay?

Would you split the time between both places you mentioned or do you need a 7/10 at each one?

I love Singapore. I was there for a conference a few years ago and snuck away and dove Tioman Island (loved it).

Thanks
Karen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom