Need help importing a reg...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn't the O-rings in the std service kit made from EPDM anyway? Somehow I doubt they are Nitril.
Yeah, probably. But I think viton is probably still specified in the CEE standards, and the US servicing documents only specify use for Nitrox up to 40%, so other uses are outside manufacturer specs, whether necessary or not.
If one plans to use the standard service kits down the road anyway, there is no real reason to get the O2 M26 version. And if you are going to source viton o-rings, may as well just do it now in a standard version with Christ-lube used.

Why is it that the there are so few options in the US in the Apeks line compared to over seas. I know its manufactured there, but there are a lot of guys in my area diving Apeks. I know there's a market for it here.

Aaron
First, we already covered why all the M26 versions are unsuitable for US sale. The other few items not imported are just to manage the productivity of the US inventory. The US market is not the same as the U.K. and EU market, and can’t support all those items. Aqualung US sells far more Aqualung than Apeks, and the divers are far more warm water than cold water.
There are a few Aqualung products not imported to the US also.

any reason buying the regular mtx-r and then having it o2 cleaned isn't an option? or what about just going for a atx40/ds4?

any reason buying the regular mtx-r and then having it o2 cleaned isn't an option? or what about just going for a atx40/ds4?

No reason, just thought it would be cool to have. I could have the standard O2 cleaned, I considered that. I the end I’ll probably just buy the ATX40 just get a little jealous looking at the U.K. sight is all : )

First, we already covered why all the M26 versions are unsuitable for US sale. The other few items not imported are just to manage the productivity of the US inventory. The US market is not the same as the U.K. and EU market, and can’t support all those items. Aqualung US sells far more Aqualung than Apeks, and the divers are far more warm water than cold water.
There are a few Aqualung products not imported to the US also.

I wouldn’t expect them to sell M26 models here but as others have said converting them would be a simple matter. I just thought it would be cool to have one.

No reason, just thought it would be cool to have. I could have the standard O2 cleaned, I considered that. I the end I’ll probably just buy the ATX40 just get a little jealous looking at the U.K. sight is all : )
I really wouldn't bother. If it's mainly about asthetics, replace the mouthpiece and faceplate and have them O2 cleaned. Here's a couple of my stage regs:
IMG_20191130_073413.jpg

Nobody in the UK uses M26 except for rebreather 100% O2 cylinders which have to be M26 to pass CE. Lots of people replace those with normal DIN valves ASAP and swap the fitting of their o2 side regulator.

People generally assume that the Apeks 100% capable M26 versions of regulators are exactly the same, other hand the green bits and DIN vs M26, as the 40% capable ones. Personally, I will use brand new standard regs on 80% bailout cylinders, although I ask for an o2 clean at service time. Since the service kits are all the same I don’t think it matters though.

If you want a deco reg I suggest just buying a normal DS4/ATX40 and using that as is. Use normal O2 respect. If you have an o2 fire, sorry, please let us all know.

If you have an o2 fire, sorry, please let us all know.

Well. I had an O2 fire, in the seventies. I wanted to try OC oxygen for deco, so I managed to mount a standard reg (an Aquilon) on a pure-oxygen bottle.
It was not O2 cleaned, it was quite dirty, with joke connection and O-rings made of who-knows-what type of rubber and lubricated with inflammable grease.
As I opened the valve, the first stage literally exploded, with a burst of flame finding his way through the metal (at the end there was an ovoidal hole in the metal).
The flame was half meter long, a few centimetres from my face. Luckily I was prompt closing the valve, and the flame estinguished.
I was really scared, and learned the hard way how dangerous pure oxygen at 200 bar can be...

Well. I had an O2 fire, in the seventies. I wanted to try OC oxygen for deco, so I managed to mount a standard reg (an Aquilon) on a pure-oxygen bottle.
It was not O2 cleaned, it was quite dirty, with joke connection and O-rings made of who-knows-what type of rubber and lubricated with inflammable grease.
As I opened the valve, the first stage literally exploded, with a burst of flame finding his way through the metal (at the end there was an ovoidal hole in the metal).
The flame was half meter long, a few centimetres from my face. Luckily I was prompt closing the valve, and the flame estinguished.
I was really scared, and learned the hard way how dangerous pure oxygen at 200 bar can be...
Mr Angelo, that's why ScubaGaskets has developed a special grade Green Viton Orings specifically for Pure oxygen use, on top of our normal Black Viton o-rings that are used in oxygen-enriched gas mixtures.
Over and above that, scubagaskets developed full-service kits for 1st and 2nd stages of some scuba brands.

VITON® Green Scuba O-Rings for pure Oxygen applications

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Burning temp of viton O-rings is slightly above 400°F, there have been reports of hydrofloric acid HFl being produced when Viton burns.
NBR O-Rings can be used to 250°F, but don`t create poisonous compounds when they burn.
I don't use Viton in any of my diving/filling equipment since I don't want to anywhere nearby if it combusts.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom