Need help identifying two regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James Sizemore

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I believe the first one is a Mk5 first gen with the 2 low pressure ports (please confirm me), but the second one is the one I really have questions on with 5 low pressure ports. Also, I have heard the both have possible brass turret bolts and should be replaced with stainless steel bolts. I am looking to rebuild both of these.

IMG_0548.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0547.jpg
    IMG_0547.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 16
Yes, they are both Mk-5.
The first one could actually have a snap ring instead of a turret bolt it is a very early one, but it probably has the brass bolt.
The second one only has one HP port, but it does have the latest higher pressure yoke, so it is hard to tell if it was upgraded with the SS swivel bolt.
You can get parts and the SS swivel bolt from VintageDoubleHose.com

It does have a stainless swivel bolt on the newer yoke reg. upon closer inspection it is magnetic, and when scratched, no brass is shown unlike the one from the 2 port reg. I actually have a cart with VDH being put together. He helped me out alot with the first reg i rebuilt.
Thank you for confirming.

The second one certainly had the yoke and LP turret replaced from a later model. I don't think there was ever a stock combination of 1 HP port and 5 LP ports, and I don't think I've ever seen a 5 LP turret on a body without the small "SPEC" ambient chamber holes. Your photos look like they could be of the same reg, with and without the later yoke and turret.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the brass turret bolt in the older reg, unless it's damaged (you can look at it with a jeweler's loupe). Then again, it's always a good idea to support VDH, and it might give you some peace of mind.

Back
Top Bottom