Need help identifying this HARD HAT suit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1969ivan1

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the early stages of identifying this suit to prepare it for sale. I was told it was a MARK 5 suit but I have my doubts. There are no real markings that I can find so far. Any ideas?

DSCF3562.jpg

DSCF3563.jpg

DSCF3564.jpg

DSCF3565.jpg

DSCF3566.jpg

DSCF3567.jpg

DSCF3568.jpg

What's the line in Space Cowboys - "American parts..Russian parts...the're all made in Taiwan"

I can't say for sure what it is, but I can tell you what it is not. Mark V, all Mark V suits had black seals and lashing on the back of the lower legs to draw the leg up tight.

Thanks, I am getting such conflicting info. The guy that gave it to me to sell said MK5 and one fellow that I know has a lot of knowledge about these things said it is a MARK5 as well, but several folks have said what you say about the legs and it not being a Mk5. I really want to know what I am selling for the poor guy so I can maximise his ernings. I guess I will keep researching. Thanks to all that have contributed.

It has been a long time but it seems to me that the breast plate gasket on the diving dress we had in the Navy were molded where the photo you posted looks stamped. I never knew them as a Mark V dress, but that was the designation on the hat.

https://www.divedesco.com/catalog/p...d=162&osCsid=c57b02d2ee9c78cdede3b378815033c6

I believe there was a molded rib around the entry hole to help lock it onto the breast plate and prevent tearing as the gasket wore. Is the rubber on the entry black or red (not sure if the red in the photo is the rubber or some coating)? I believe the old Yokahama suits I saw were red.

The seam patterns and seal color look very much like an old Yokohama. Also, the arm seals had bumps that were similar. I can't remember the stampings, though.

All the best, James

Well, I am still at a loss. I appreciate the help and input all. I guess I will list it on the BAY and see what it will bring the old guy.

I have had many more people email me since the suit has been on the BAY. Now it is a DESCO, Schrader, and Yokohama also!:D

It is in the last stretch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom