Need help identifying first stage...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcee

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello all,

i have two scubapro mk25, the one on the left is registered as a mk25 on scubapro website. but it does not look like a typical mk25 like the one on the right. please assist in confirming if it's a mk25? thanks, for your assistance in advance.

IMG_1649.jpeg

A little google-fu shows early Mk25s with that body style (still the Mk20 body). If it has the seat retainer that allows for external IP adjustment, it's a Mk25..... but my advice is worth what you paid for it!

Respectfully,

James

It seems like MK 25 TIS on the left and MK 25 AF on the right.

hello all,

i have two scubapro mk25, the one on the left is registered as a mk25 on scubapro website. but it does not look like a typical mk25 like the one on the right. please assist in confirming if it's a mk25? thanks, for your assistance in advance.

View attachment 675118

thank you everyone for the help in identifying the "older" mk 25...

It could be a late MK20, or an early MK25. There is very little practical difference between the two. As mentioned, the way to identify it is on the HP seat retainer. If you pull of the rubber boot on the 'bottom' of each reg and compare what's underneath, you'll see that they either look the same or they don't. If they don't, you have a late MK20 on the left, if they do, they're both MK25s.

The one on the left is DIN with a spin on yoke adapter. I would take that adapter off, to make sure it's not stuck on. If it was used in salt water and left like that, you might have a hard time getting it off.

It could be a late MK20, or an early MK25. There is very little practical difference between the two. As mentioned, the way to identify it is on the HP seat retainer. If you pull of the rubber boot on the 'bottom' of each reg and compare what's underneath, you'll see that they either look the same or they don't. If they don't, you have a late MK20 on the left, if they do, they're both MK25s.

The one on the left is DIN with a spin on yoke adapter. I would take that adapter off, to make sure it's not stuck on. If it was used in salt water and left like that, you might have a hard time getting it off.

halocline,

i took rubber boot off of both and they both look the same. so, with that said, the one of the left is an older mk25.

halocline,

i took rubber boot off of both and they both look the same. so, with that said, the one of the left is an older mk25.

Meaning they both have a small allen fitting in the center for the external IP adjustment. Actually I was just looking that up and I have a schematic for a late model MK20 that shows that fitting with the note "new configuration" so it's possible that you still have a very late MK20. It really makes no difference. At some point you could dismantle it to see if it has the composite piston. It very likely does. That is the MK25 piston. So what you have is for all intents and purposes a MK25, but it might have been originally sold as a MK20.

Meaning they both have a small allen fitting in the center for the external IP adjustment. Actually I was just looking that up and I have a schematic for a late model MK20 that shows that fitting with the note "new configuration" so it's possible that you still have a very late MK20. It really makes no difference. At some point you could dismantle it to see if it has the composite piston. It very likely does. That is the MK25 piston. So what you have is for all intents and purposes a MK25, but it might have been originally sold as a MK20.

halocline,

i'm getting the mk20?/mk25?, the one on the left serviced by monterey bay diving next week. they will be able to tell me definitely if it's a mk20 or mk25.

thank you everyone for your input it is definitely appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom