Need Help!! Going on liveaboard in Thailand in Nov for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For US$1,000/person for a 5-day trip I don't think you'll be able to get your own bathroom but shared bathrooms are often no problem as everyone has different routines and when I've been on liveaboards I've rarely had to wait to us a toilet/shower...

Like StevenL said later in the season would be better for manta rays but I know this season, just finished, they came as early as the beginning of December.

If you've not yet done it, suggest doing your nitrox cert either in the classroom one evening at home, or in conjunction with your AOW.

On LOBs you will dive a lot, and nitrox will really help.

Hello Jay

There a few Budget LOB with ensuite bathrooms available which will suit your mentioned Budget.
Best time to dive is not easy to recommend as over the last years the diving has changed and there is not rally a season for big Pelagic's such as Manta rays and Sharks. The peak season is around Christmas which for sure is the busiest time a year so November is a pretty good time and the weather usually stays hot and calm!

Hi Jayfro. We're also hoping to be in Thailand mid November or so. The boats that stevenl mentioned look really interesting to me. Someone mentioned you might want to get nitrox certs too before this trip. I've only been on 3 liveaboards, but that poster is correct that nitrox can be a huge benefit on a liveaboard. Think we would've maxed out our computers on air pretty fast on a liveaboard in Palau.

If anyone has thoughts about a particular boat for 4 to 7 nights, we'd love to hear about them too.

Hi Jayfro. We're also hoping to be in Thailand mid November or so. The boats that stevenl mentioned look really interesting to me. Someone mentioned you might want to get nitrox certs too before this trip. I've only been on 3 liveaboards, but that poster is correct that nitrox can be a huge benefit on a liveaboard. Think we would've maxed out our computers on air pretty fast on a liveaboard in Palau.

If anyone has thoughts about a particular boat for 4 to 7 nights, we'd love to hear about them too.
There are quite a few other very nice boats. A recommendation would depend on your specific requirements though.

And yes, diving with nitrox makes a lot of sense on any liveaboard trip.

Hey Jayfro--first of all, it's smart of you to get your AOW before joining a liveaboard trip. Try to work night diving into your AOW curriculum to help you prepare for the LOB if you haven't done much diving in limited visibility. I agree with those who have advised above that a nitrox cert is also very useful. Even many of our budget boats here now pump nitrox on board, and you can always do the course during the cruise, but having it already saves you some study time on the boat. Next, our liveabords here in Thailand overwhelmingly feature two-person cabins, so no problems there. And a budget of CND $1000 per person can indeed get you a boat with a private bathroom. Keep in mind, though, when you're checking prices, to budget for expenses like equipment and dive computer rental as well as national park entry/use fees.

I worked a few Similan trips in November to December and didn't see a single Manta. I heard there was sightings at the end of December but they definitely don't show up till later in the season. Private Bathrooms are possible but from my knowledge those rooms run about $2000 USD.

Yes, there can always be sightings, but February/March would for mantas be better.

Take into account that 2000 US$ is for the room, so per person 1000 US$. And there are cheaper options with cabins en-suite than 1000 US$ per person.

+ 1 for the nitrox certification it will really make a difference at the end of the week . but be sure to budget for nitrox fills there is usually an additional charge for this but it's money well spent in my book .have a great time !!

Back
Top Bottom