Need help from you travel types...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I live in So Cal. I'm a home boy. I hang out at home. I play near home. I dive near home.

Although I travel extensively for work (domestic...over 300,000 the last 3 years) I never travel to dive. Recently I traveled to WA state for another important event, did some diving, and it was great. On this recent trip, I realized that although I travel very well on business, I travel poorly as a diver. I can work on that.

Anyway - I got miles. Lots. WA was neat, but I'm looking for a warm water dive locale over Christmas Holiday (Dec 20 - 29th) to wisk my wife off to.

I've narrowed it down to East:

FL Keys, etc.

Cayman

T & C

Bahamas

I'll get there on miles, and likely craft my stay on miles. I am really, really clueless, here. I'm confident there are a bunch of other questions/info that may help. Here goes:

* We're early 40's. Pretty fit, and up for about anything.

* We both dive

* Our vacations and trips are generally more adventure trips (i.e.: Honeymoon was safari in Alaska, this summer was fishing / photo trip through back country Montana / Wyoming, etc.) as opposed to luxury lay around the beach / resort stuff. So a location that offers fishing and diving and kayaking is prefered to one that offers, say diving and golf.

* We're not party vikings, so a bumpin' night life isn't required. We dive, we look around, we sleep. We're OK with that.

* We don't golf

* Low budget is cool, if its picturesque, cultural and real.

* We eat anything

* Did I mention golf sux?

* We considered Hawaii (being from So Cal) but it may have to wait - it gets a little pricy around Christmas and its close enough to visit anytime, really.

This is probably a huge request - so if you can get me in the parking lot (if not the ball park) I'll take it from here. I'm not even sure where to start - I've been online for the a long time tonight but I'd rather hear from divers who've been there than travel sites who's job it is to get me there.

Thanks!

Ken

Hi Ken:
I have been to all the places on your list but T&C.
I think they are all good places, and have gone back to some more then 3 times.

Seems the first step you need to do is see if any of these destinations will allow you to use miles during the holidays to get there.
Some mile awards programs black out dates during that time, and some are sold out for awards a year in advance.
Get back to us, and let us know what you have found out, and we should be able to help you with step II.

I should probably say a few more things (after reading more on the board...)

* Wrecks are cool - but not the priority.

* We always dive in the cold - so reefs will be a treat, as well lots o' colorful fishies

* I love walls - the feeling of floating. She's cool with that.

* I guess we sort of want variety. We'll be investing 5 - 7 days of diving in this 9 - 10 trip - so experiencing variety is what we're hoping for. Using the hotel as a base of operations is usually our travel MO - then fanning out on day trips, etc.

I'll check the miles thang (AA, where most of mine reside has trips available to Bahamas, Aruba, Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Anguilla, Antigua, St. Lucia, Greneda, Barbados and some others.)

K

but maybe Belize?

I remember lots of options for trips to Mayan ruins in Belize and Guatemala. There were trips up the rivers for checking out the wildlife and such too.

The Belizean barrier reef is a short boat ride out for diving, with surface intervals usually done back at shore if you stay on one of the Cayes.

As to Cayman... there are options here too. Based on your criteria, I think you'd be happier away from Seven Mile Beach. You might consider renting a condo, or maybe a place like the Turtle Nest Inn in Bodden Town.

Grand Cayman does have a Botanic Park lively with Cayman's blue iguanas. (Two words of advice: Bug Spray!) We've got mangroves on the eastern shore of North Sound, and there are a few folks offering guided kayak exploration of this area. East End offers some quiet stretches of beach for snorkeling if the seas allow. Deep sea and reef fishing are all over the island.

The diving ain't half bad, and you did say you like wall diving. Well, our drop off starts at 45ft or so, and drops away dramatically for thousands of feet.

You can plan a few days in Cayman Brac and/or Little Cayman as well. Can even fly up just for the day. The Brac offers spectacular cliffs on the eastern tip of the island.

If you feel more adventurous, Cayman Airways flies direct to Havana. Flights allow for a long weekend touring Old Havana before returning to Grand Cayman.

hey there,

just thought I would reiterate the comment from above- check if you can get anywhere during the holidays. I continually try to get frequent flyer trips with little success, so that would be your first port of call. You can always reserve the flight for the 14 days and then not accept it, so just call for carrib destinations.
Other than that- given the choice I would probably go for T&C for christmas- the keys is usually busy, as are the Bahamas and Grand cayman will have cruises in.

I will second Belize. Not only is the world's second largest barrier reef 200 yards offshore of Ambergris Caye, but there are other spectacular dive sites like the Blue Hole.

In addition to scuba, there are a variety of other things to do such as whitewater rafting, tubing through caves, swimming with manatees, Cave exploration, Mayan ruins to visit, etc...

Did I mention it's just over an hour from Dallas?

http://www.slickrock.com/adv.htm
http://www.belizex.com/
http://www.bluedive.com/

The East End is a different world from Seven Mile Beach. Check out Cayman Dive Lodge. Very low-key, laid back and great diving. All meals included. Eat, dive, sleep. Turtle's Nest Inn is also nice if you want a bit more amenities (apartment and a pool). After diving all sides of Grand Cayman, we keep going back to East End because it's got the best walls & reefs and no crowds. The cruise ships people never get out this way. If you want you could rent a car and explore the island for a day or two as well. There are some pretty good shore dives.

Sound an awful lot like me, except the part about traveling to dive! The wife and I are early forties and both dive. I travel a lot for business, as well.
Oh by the way did I mention...Golf sux!
Do like I'm doing. Taking the wife and kids to the Bahamas for a stay at Suart Cove's on New Providence. The girls don't live with us...both girls 14 yr old is also a diver. 18 yr oldwill try snorkeling for the first time in the Bahamas.
Stuart Coves has it all. Warm clear water, wrecks, walls, reef, and did I mention sharks? You go down and while they feed 50 or so Carribean Reef Sharks. Get your picture taken with 8 or 9 of those big guys in the frame. Nice place and affordable.

We'll be there the week after Christmas.

Dave

I was able to secure flights for Kona - leave LAX on 12/24 and return on 1/6. All miles, very reasonable.

Currently pouring over the Kona postings and basically all Hawaii postings on the board.

Now I'm looking for a place to stay, and stuff to do. :D

I wanted to come back earlier - but, of course, so do the other 200,000 people who thought of this plan a year ago. The 1/6 return date is the earliest I could get back without spending another 50,000 miles. Maybe something will open up in the next two weeks...who knows.

I can't believe I'm trying to LEAVE Hawaii sooner to get back home...I must be mental.

Carrib and all points east we're less attractive, mileage wise (I'm in and out of Kona for 70k...as opposed to 120k + for Carrib, due to my poor planning...) I could get into FL for about the same miles as Kona, but I hadn't even considered the whole Cruise influx thing in the Keys... thanks for the tip.

Water is mid 70's... hmmmm. We only have dry suits - sounds like minimal exposure protection under the dry suit (maybe 100 Gr Polar) I can't see going wet, even if it is that warm...who knows. I have months to figure that one out.

I'm off to find someplace to flop on Kona / other islands. We'll probably do some hopping - I'll go nuts in one place for 12 days. I'm off to go find Doc's book recommendation on the area.

More soon. Thanks -

K

if you go to belize, than abergris is the only place to go. and then, get as far away from san pedro as you can. sense you don't party than there's no use to staying in town. might as well head north for some piece and quite. getting around is kinda tough though. staying some place that has a dedicated water taxi is a must.

if GC...than definitely stay on the east side. rent a car for something like 300 bucks for a week and avoid 7 mile beach like the plague. there's a couple dive ops on the east end that take care of housing and food. there are a couple of nice restaurants on the east side. again...away from the hussle and bussle. ocean frontiers comes to mind. we stayed in a house about a half mile north of it.

never been to turks...

good luck and have a blast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom