Need help from C5050/PT-015 users

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TedJ:
Get used to this procedure. You will perform it hundreds of times in the future.

TEdJ
How often do you actually do this process of cleaning the O-rings?

After each day of diving?

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen,
I generally inspect and clean the o-rings after each day of diving. I also change batteries in the camera and strobe and download my images to my Archos Multimedia Jukebox.

I have been using a 512 CF card and a 64 xD card in the camera and shooting SHQ, but on my next trip I intend to shoot in RAW so I have bought a 1g CF card. I do this so that I do not have to open the camera on any boat dive.

My wife, Barbara, shoots a Nikonos V with SB-105 strobe and is meticulous about cleaning the five o-rings on the camera, some of which are too small for me to handle.

BTW cleaning the o-rings includes cleaning the channels of the housing and for this I think it was Dee who recommended using foam make-up applicators, an idea I never would have thought of, but one which Barbara said, of course I use them. Do not use Q-tips as they may leave trace amounts of cotton in the grooves.

The purpose of cleaning is really to be certain that no debris has gotten onto the o-rings and in the grooves. It sometimes only takes a hair laying across to allow for flooding. Also the use of the o-ring grease is only to keep the rings supple, not to provide the seal. Don't use too much.

Hope this helps.
TedJ

Edit: There was also this discussion that might interest you.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t45432.html

TedJ:
BTW cleaning the o-rings includes cleaning the channels of the housing and for this I think it was Dee who recommended using foam make-up applicators, an idea I never would have thought of, but one which Barbara said, of course I use them. Do not use Q-tips as they may leave trace amounts of cotton in the grooves.
Dee or Ted,

Could you post a photo of these foam make-up applicators :) . Neither I or Mrs. Odgaard has any idea of what you are refering to.

Thanks

Stephen

P.S. Just over two weeks to departure for Australia (Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney)

I don't have any at the moment but I found a similar picture....
http://www.beansbeauty.com/lib/pop.php?id=904

The one's in this photo are cotton but the foam one's look the same. Do NOT get the cotton one's, they can leave trace cotton fibers in the o-ring channel = flood!

Thanks ladies!! I don't use many of these so I didn't know where they came from, but when Dee said to get them, I went to get them. Of course Barbara knew all about them and has been using them for years.
TedJ

Yes, thanks indeed.

Imagine if only guys were doing UW photography. Then we had never stumbled over this neat solution. And when confronted with the photo, Camilla also lighted up in a big smile of recognition.

We ladies do come in handy every now and then. Don't forget the panty liner trick when you're out of dessicant.

Dee:
We ladies do come in handy every now and then. Don't forget the panty liner trick when you're out of dessicant.

Dee, You go to far with the panty liner trick:)

Here I am at the dive site and I accidentally knock over my tool box. Out falls panty liners, condom catheters, surgical tubing, makeup remover swabs and a tube of KY jelly. Man, could you imagine the looks of non divers - as well as some from the other divers.

Yup, I really am here for the diving.

But seriously, thanks for the tip. I had never heard of that before.

Dee:
No doubt about it. Thats why I have gotten my own.

Now - what on earth is this panty liner trick????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom