Need help for Mac/PC reading CD's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I burned some jpg's to a CD on my PC to take to the screen printers to make T-shirts. He couldn't access it on his Mac.

My PC uses a program called Adaptec DirectCD. At the end, I have the choice of 'leaving the disc as is so it can be read and written through drive letter access in the future' or I can 'organize the disc so that it can be read in most standard CD-ROM drives under Windows 95/98 and Windows NT 4.0, Service pal 3 or greater and Windows 2000.' This leads me to believe this format can only be read by PC's running Windows.

What do I need to do so it can be read on a Mac?

Hay Dee,

I believe you need to write to the disk using what's called the Universal Disk Format or UDF. You should be able to do this using DirectCD. Disks written in this format are supposed to able to be read on any computer with a CD-ROM drive as the program needed to read the disk is contained on the written disk.

Here's what I found...

MacOS 8.1: supports UDF, but....
According to a Mar. 31 report on http://www.macresource.com/, Adaptec's UDF Volume Extension enables the Mac to read closed UDF 1.5 volumes, such as those created by Adaptec's DirectCD. The UDF Volume Access Extension installed by Mac OS 8.1 only supports UDF 1.02, and thus not disks written by DirectCD. Apparently, the two extensions can peacefully coexist.

An Apple Tech Info Library Article (24451) entitled "DVD Technology: Overview" discusses many of the issues concerning DVD-ROM on the Macintosh. It's at http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n24451

Link to the full artical...

Universal Disk Format

You might also do a search using the topic UDF and see what else you can find.

As posted on dd.net:

You'll need to burn the CD in 'ISO 9660' format. In Windows, CD burning software usually defaults to 'Joliet' format which is what Windows can read. In the CD burning progam where you select the files you should be able to set this in the properties of the CD you are about to burn.
Since ISO 9660 only supports 8.3 ie 8 character filename and 3 character extension e.g. P1234567.jpg you should rename the files to comply.
Also make sure you 'close the session' and 'close the CD' - sometimes called 'Disc at once' in the Adaptec (now Roxio) software for consistent results.

You should also be able to use the ISO 9660 format, which can be read by most platforms including Macs. In the Adaptec program you should be able to go to:
File\CD Layout Properties
On the General tab select the File System drop down menu and change it from Joliet to ISO9660.
The file name cannot contain more than 8 alphanumeric characters and the extension must be 3 characters.
I hope this helps.
EDIT:
Oops, must have been typing at the same time...

UDF is ainly used for rewritable file systems. I suggest sticking with ISO 9660.

You guys are great...thanks!

The Adaptec program never clearly showed the ISO9660 format. I burned a copy follwing those directions but I have no way of checking to see if it is correct.

I found an Easy CD Creator on my PC (where did that come from?) and it was easily listed both Joliet and ISO9660. I'm waiting now for it to generate and start writing. It will 'track-at-once' and 'close session and leave CD open'.

I'll get back to you with more details! :wink:

Edit: The Easy Creator came through. Recorded as ISO9660 and I'm ***-u-ming it will open on a Mac.

Thanks again guys...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom