Need help diving in Maine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello -

Can anyone tell me what would be the best time to season to dive Maine? By best season I mean peak visibility because I dive to take pictures. Is visibility seasonal or is it consistent all year round? Also, I know you guys have some amazing shore dives so is boat diving worth it? Or should I just team up with some shore diving locals and I would still be having the best of diving maine has to offer.

Any other tips, suggestions? Thanks in advance for you help guys -

Regards -

Sinbad

Vis is seasonal with early spring the best, but cold cold water. Better have a drysuit or freeze. Late fall and winter there is generally good viz but there is not much to see, most of the critters head south (or something).

During the summer when the water temp is almost tolerable we get algae blooms that can kill the vis. Anytime we can get storms that will stir it up for a few days.

Now for the real killer, you do realize good viz in New England is 20', normal is 10-15', it's all relative.

Yes I am aware that viz will be 10 - 15 ft. Still I have heard so much about how great the diving there is I wanna make a road trip from dc. I have a dry suit and I dont mind cold water. Just need the viz and some marine life to take pics :)

Try Nubble Light in Cape Nedick. It usually has better than average viz with good wildlife!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

The best visibility I've encountered in Maine was in the coldest parts of the season (think February/March). Downside is that there isn't much life when the water is that cold. The upside is that you can also scallop near to shore in those months. Nubble light is probably the nexus of easy and good diving.

Sinbad....If you come up? Also give Cape Ann a try in Mass. I dove there once with close to 100ft vis. That was in May

Capt. Sinbad --- Think MACRO --- even in the dead of winter there is a rich variety of colors and textures in the shallows with natural lighting. There are also many little critters that hang around that you need macro for. When the viz is poor we spend a lot of time getting up close and personal with our mask 12" from the bottom. Jerry Shine even takes a magnifying glass along with him to find the tiny stuff when he takes his pixs. As to the viz - it is not unusual to get 30' on some days after November, which is outstanding around here. I try to get to Nubble every weekend during the winter [when weather cooperates]. I'll give you the quick tour when you are ready.

Sinbad....If you come up? Also give Cape Ann a try in Mass. I dove there once with close to 100ft vis. That was in May

What??? Are you kidding me or are you serious? My inlaws are in Mass and the divers there tell me that viz is 3 feet! I never dove there just because of the discouragement. If this is true then I will be dragging my dive gear next time I am there.

Capt. Sinbad --- Think MACRO --- even in the dead of winter there is a rich variety of colors and textures in the shallows with natural lighting. There are also many little critters that hang around that you need macro for. When the viz is poor we spend a lot of time getting up close and personal with our mask 12" from the bottom. Jerry Shine even takes a magnifying glass along with him to find the tiny stuff when he takes his pixs. As to the viz - it is not unusual to get 30' on some days after November, which is outstanding around here. I try to get to Nubble every weekend during the winter [when weather cooperates]. I'll give you the quick tour when you are ready.

Sounds fun! Im looking forward to it. Do you post your pictures and dive reports online?

What??? Are you kidding me or are you serious? My inlaws are in Mass and the divers there tell me that viz is 3 feet! I never dove there just because of the discouragement. If this is true then I will be dragging my dive gear next time I am there.

3' does happen right after a storm, but that is not typical. Nubble is a great place in that you have a number of great dives packed into one place with available parking if you get there early. Cape Ann sites a more spread out and parking can be a real problem site to site based on the town laws, but is certainly still worth diving. Old Flounder is correct though, both places have enough particulate in the water to mess up many non-macro shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom