Need help determining what tank would be best for my diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pants!:
I disagree with the suggestion for an Al100. They weigh more than LP95s or HP100s or E7-100s and require you to wear more lead than any of the above tanks. They are also quite a bit larger than any of the above tanks.

Bad, bad choice.

Al100s? Bad.

Here are some stats on tanks....

Luxfer 80 AL80 3,000 psi 77.4 c.f. -1.4 lbs +1.5 lbs +3.4 lbs 31.4 lbs 7.25 in 26.1 in

Luxfer 100 AL100 3,300 psi 98.8 c.f. -4.3 lbs -0.6 lbs +1.9 lbs 41.0 lbs 8.0 in 26.2 in

So the tank is 10lbs heavier vs. the AL80, .1 inches longer, 3/4inch wider, and will require 2.5 LESS pounds of weight VS. Diving an AL80.

At HALF the cost of a Steel tank, IMO this is CERTAINLY a tank to consider.

I have dove the Steel E8100's. I liked them very much. However the are expensive (VERY MUCH).

My buddy just puchased two used AL100's for $160. He is very pleased with them. While I completely agree that AL tanks are heavier, more buoyant, and bigger than Steel, AL tanks are VERY popular. If steel was so much better why is the majority of the diving world using Alum?

All things being equal, I'd go with Steel especially for bigger tanks. But steel is often difficult to find, expensive to purchase (plan on getting a VIS done by the LDS with your new Steel tanks), and it's hard to find shops that will fill them to capacity.

I'll stick to my suggestion, which is just that, a viable option that SHOULD be considered. Newbie divers tend to listen to advice here, and they walk away thinking Alum stinks, Split fins don't work in current, and BP/W is the way most of the diving world outfits... The truth is MUCH different...

RonFrank:
So the tank is 10lbs heavier vs. the AL80, .1 inches longer, 3/4inch wider, and will require 2.5 LESS pounds of weight VS. Diving an AL80.
LP95's are lighter, shorter, require less lead, and are $185 brand new.

Where are you finding new Al100s for less than $100?

Keep in mind even though your air usage will go down in time you will probably also start to dive deeper. Therefore more air/gas is always a good thing. You can't go wrong with the PST E-8 119 in my opinion. As has been pointed out even if you only get a 3,000 psi fill at a particular shop it's still the equivalent of a LP 104.

Where do you find steel E8-100's..??

PST makes the e-8's in 119, and 130 (at full 3442 capacity).
E-7's are 80, 100, 120... (Again, this is rated at full 3442 capacity)..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom