Need help deciding - Lanai or Molokini Crater for family of four

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd go to Molokini, you might check out Ed Robinson out of Kehei. Also they have boat dives which are closer to shore so that you don't have to worry about the crossing.

I just got back from Maui and did both Lanai and Molokini dives. Lanai was fun, but a long day and honestly when I got back to my hotel around 4pm I didn't want to do squat after that. The two Lanai dives were Cathedrals II and No Name. I honestly really wasn't impressed with Cathedrals aside from the black coral growing in it. Looked more like a hanging upside down Christmas tree to me. lol. I did Sharks Cove on Oahu and that was more impressive in terms of lava formations/structures to swim through. The second dive site was called No Name and it was my favorite dive of the 4 I did. It had the most aquatic life of the 4 sites I dove. The safety stop there was right on top a plateau with tons sea life and coral, great way to spend 3 minutes instead of at a mooring buoy. The Lanai dive was an easy going 2 hour journey out there but rough 2.5 hour ride back. Seas were choppy because the wind kicked up all the surf. If you get seasick this probably isn't the one for you. I'd recommend this dive if all the boat trips out there were on cigarette boats. Get there in 20 minutes and be an intense ride to boot!

Molokini was just alright (although I forget what the site name was at the crater...orange something IIRC). I had this idea in my head of what it would look like and came away disappointed, which could've easily just been the mooring buoy we were at (there were other boats there at all the good spots probably). It was nothing like No Name on Lanai. It was lots of sand, some coral here and there, and a barracuda. Other than that, nothing special. The second dive was at Red Hill and a drift dive. This was my second favorite dive because it was my first drift dive so that was an experience all to its own.

FWIW I dove with Maui Dive Shop and had a great time. They picked me up and dropped me off, their staff was engaging and the dive master woman for my Molokini dive was HOT. :) I didn't have time to shop around other dive shops so I just picked what I found at the mall. Probably about 20-25 people on the boat including boat staff broken up into 3 dive groups of 6-7. Awesome if you like to interact with others from around the globe, which I do. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom