need help deciding - fiji or philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks to all who offered honest comment and helpful insight. I really appreciate it.

As for being put down as a result of my post - I would suggest that those who look to criticize others for their perspective should find better, more productive, and nicer things to do.

I have a master's degree in wildlife biology and AM sensitive to reef health and human impacts to natural systems. I DON'T appreciate being put down - this is supposed to be a friendly, helpful community.

Re. drift diving - I can do it - I just prefer to look closely and check things out for longer than perhaps some - so it's frustrating to me to go flying by things.

We all have our preferences and perspectives, and I would encourage others to respect those.

Thanks again to all the helpful folks!

I totally get what you are saying, but I think you also have to understand that the entire planet has problems with coral reefs and it is not getting any better. Anywhere you go, you are going to hear that the reefs are not what they used to be, they are in decline everywhere, you should have seen them 10 yrs ago, etc. That is just the state of planet Earth.
Places like Philippines have great diving, sort of, but also have local fishermen taking all the fish and also dynamite fishing. You aren't going to get pristine coral reefs unless you go on a liveaboard, far from land, and that isn't even guaranteed.

The most pristine diving I have ever experienced was Palau, but that was also blasting currrent on most dives. It is not diving for people without good diving skills and divers must be confident in their own skills as it was not uncommon to get separated from group on surface, in choppy water, with sharks coming by to check you out... :shocked2: The DMs on our liveaboard boat were FABULOUS. There were 4 of them, and on some dives ALL of them were on the dive with us 15 divers. One lead, one followed at end, and the others were there in case someone needed to go up early or was having problems. On one dive, we were hooking in our reef hooks at Blue Corner (considered one of the best dives on the planet), and I couldn't get hooked in as current was ripping and I was trying to hold my video camera. A DM spotted my isses and came over without being asked, hooked me in, and asked if I was okay. When I said I was good, he hooked in next to me, and stayed until the end of dive. When we unhooked we all went flying backwards at mach speed and he stayed right with me all the way to safety stop and onto boat. Yes, it was scary screaming current, but I felt safer having such good DMs there with me. That was the only dive that a DM saved me all week but I saw others fighting on one dive or the other to stay with group and a DM always swooped in. :D If we hadn't had such great guys there all week with us, I am certain it could have been ugly on several dives.
One dive at German Channel we had to kick like crazy the whole dive in order just to stay still, but we had 7 mantas circling us so we didn't mind. I got tired, so did a few others, so we dropped down to bottom and kneeled on sand and rested. When we got low on air, we signaled a DM and we got back up in currrent and went screaming backwards, and the DM went with us while the other DMs stayed in the manta action. BTW - vis was maybe 50' at best due to large amount of plankton, which the mantas were feeding on. The boat was there on surface to pick us up and shortly afterwards the rest of the group started popping up. We all made it safely back to boat. Screaming mad current........ yes! Worth it...... heck yeah! One of the BEST dives of my LIFE. :D

Point I am trying to make...... pristine reefs and current go hand in hand, in most cases. If you want one, you are going to get the other.

Liveaboard in Palau........ freakin' amazing diving.
check out my video of some highlights:
[vimeo]3506378[/vimeo]
the rest of my Palau videos are here: http://www.vimeo.com/album/18777

not every dive had screaming current, but there was always current. The dives with no current also didn't have the lush soft coral which needs current to bring in nutrients.

I have heard that the diving off north end of Fiji, Bligh Waters, is similar to what we experienced in Palau BUT it is also current, drift diving, and not for faint of heart! Pure adenaline diving but worth it.

robin:D

I totally get what you are saying, but I think you also have to understand that the entire planet has problems with coral reefs and it is not getting any better. Anywhere you go, you are going to hear that the reefs are not what they used to be, they are in decline everywhere, you should have seen them 10 yrs ago, etc. That is just the state of planet Earth.
Places like Philippines have great diving, sort of, but also have local fishermen taking all the fish and also dynamite fishing. You aren't going to get pristine coral reefs unless you go on a liveaboard, far from land, and that isn't even guaranteed.

The most pristine diving I have ever experienced was Palau, but that was also blasting currrent on most dives. It is not diving for people without good diving skills and divers must be confident in their own skills as it was not uncommon to get separated from group on surface, in choppy water, with sharks coming by to check you out... :shocked2: The DMs on our liveaboard boat were FABULOUS. There were 4 of them, and on some dives ALL of them were on the dive with us 15 divers. One lead, one followed at end, and the others were there in case someone needed to go up early or was having problems. On one dive, we were hooking in our reef hooks at Blue Corner (considered one of the best dives on the planet), and I couldn't get hooked in as current was ripping and I was trying to hold my video camera. A DM spotted my isses and came over without being asked, hooked me in, and asked if I was okay. When I said I was good, he hooked in next to me, and stayed until the end of dive. When we unhooked we all went flying backwards at mach speed and he stayed right with me all the way to safety stop and onto boat. Yes, it was scary screaming current, but I felt safer having such good DMs there with me. That was the only dive that a DM saved me all week but I saw others fighting on one dive or the other to stay with group and a DM always swooped in. :D If we hadn't had such great guys there all week with us, I am certain it could have been ugly on several dives.
One dive at German Channel we had to kick like crazy the whole dive in order just to stay still, but we had 7 mantas circling us so we didn't mind. I got tired, so did a few others, so we dropped down to bottom and kneeled on sand and rested. When we got low on air, we signaled a DM and we got back up in currrent and went screaming backwards, and the DM went with us while the other DMs stayed in the manta action. BTW - vis was maybe 50' at best due to large amount of plankton, which the mantas were feeding on. The boat was there on surface to pick us up and shortly afterwards the rest of the group started popping up. We all made it safely back to boat. Screaming mad current........ yes! Worth it...... heck yeah! One of the BEST dives of my LIFE. :D

Point I am trying to make...... pristine reefs and current go hand in hand, in most cases. If you want one, you are going to get the other.

Liveaboard in Palau........ freakin' amazing diving.
check out my video of some highlights:
[vimeo]3506378[/vimeo]
the rest of my Palau videos are here: Palau, Micronesia on Vimeo

not every dive had screaming current, but there was always current. The dives with no current also didn't have the lush soft coral which needs current to bring in nutrients.

I have heard that the diving off north end of Fiji, Bligh Waters, is similar to what we experienced in Palau BUT it is also current, drift diving, and not for faint of heart! Pure adenaline diving but worth it.

Robin,

How does the "screaming current" you refer to compare to the northern sites of Cozumel. And what kinds of sharks are checking you out? Our South Pacific diving is still a few years off but still enjoy hearing about and planning our to do list. Just trying to get a perspective of what to expect. Currents are fun but the wife still does not care for the sharks. (other than nurse) I need to get her comfortable with them at some time.

thanks

Robin - thanks for the perspective and the exciting descriptions and video! For now I get my adrenaline rush on the ski slopes (double black runs), and my diving is more about quiet observation... though after reading several descriptions I am looking forward to some of the cool things that the currents have to offer. I think I'll ease into it a bit more slowly than going to Palau for the next trip! Hopefully some day!

We did a liveaboard in Australia (our first OW dive after certification - way to start out!), and will do one again - but for now trying to make the $$ stretch a little farther.

Last edited:
Robin,

How does the "screaming current" you refer to compare to the northern sites of Cozumel. And what kinds of sharks are checking you out? Our South Pacific diving is still a few years off but still enjoy hearing about and planning our to do list. Just trying to get a perspective of what to expect. Currents are fun but the wife still does not care for the sharks. (other than nurse) I need to get her comfortable with them at some time.

thanks

yes, screaming meaning same as the northern sites on Cozumel most days. Some dives we did were slower, but many, especially the shark dives were screaming and we used the reef hooks (liveaboard provided them to use for the week) to stay still and watch the action at Blue corner, etc.
Sharks checking you out... didn't happen to us as boat picked us up pretty fast but one DM was shooting video and stayed too long down and had to surface one day (not the week we were there). Seas were rough and boat couldn't find him for almost 2 hours as he was carried by current out to sea. He said that white tips came to check him out, just circling, but it freaked him out. He said he learned his lesson about staying with group and coming up soon after the last diver, not staying until he was out of air. Of course, during our week there, he did just the opposite on 2 different dives... one where he found a crevice where sharks were hanging out. Ran his tank almost dry But he got some great footage! :shocked2:

The shark mating season in Palau is December - February and gray reef sharks are there for that reason. We saw schools every day, one day (shown in video) there were 40+ schooling and we were pulled straight through them in the current. We couldn't do anything but watch as we went right through the middle. :D One of the most amazing experiences of my life. They didn't care, they were gliding in current...:D We saw sharks, gray reef or white tips, almost every dive. They never came close to us with the exception of the night dives. But that is another story!

my shark video: [vimeo]3493905[/vimeo]
watch the bubbles from the divers and you can see how fast the current was going on each dive. Some dives the bubbles are flying straight back. You can also see the reef hooks.

Palau is not for new divers or divers unsure of their diving skill. Read my trip report:
Palau on the Eco Explorer - Dec 2007

sorry for the thread hijack. Now back to the OP's questions....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom