Need Help choosing camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doronhall

Reaction score
Hi,

I have decided to buy a new digital camera and housing (in Japan where I'm going tomorrow) and have decided to go compact. I can't afford strobes,lenses etc so I'm just looking for a good little camera that I can put in my BC pocket and take some shots from time to time while diving. I have narrowed down to 2 options, and I need help deciding which one to go for.

1. Sony P10 - looks like it has a great video function, but are the optics up to scratch? Has great price in Japan right now ($340)
2. Canon S400/IXUS 400 - Generally looks very nice, but it has 1 MP less, video is not as good and is a bit more expensive in Japan.

Which is better for underwater? The Sony Housing looks great! and comes with extra O-Ring.

What Say you???
Thanks a million for your replies,
Doron

I can't answer your question but I will add some things for you to factor into your decision making process;
1. Are all the camera's features accessible via the housing controls?
2. What is the power of the internal strobe? This matters as you are not using an external strobe.
3. Does the housing have a flash diffuser to minimize "backscatter" from the internal strobe?

Having used the Sony line before I can answer Gilligan's points in relation to them at least.
1. All controls are accessible except for the lcd control. So if the lcd is switched off when you enter the water it'll be staying off and you can't know what you're shooting as the view finder is obscured by the casing
2. The Sony flash has three levels of power setting so it gives a little bit of help but I wouldn't use it unless you're very close to the subject as back scatter is a bit of a problem
3. And no there is no diffuser for the flash thus the back scatter. I know that the Canon models do have a diffuser and also better white balance adjusting

The other thing to note is that the Canon housing for the S400, the WP-DC800, is only pressure tested to 30m whereas the Sony one is rated to 40m.

The Canon looks like having really good image quality. What about the video function underwater. Is it any use?
Looks generally like the Sony has loads of add ons like strobe/diffuser/filters etc.... that the Canon doesn't have.
Hmmmmmmmm, this is a really tough dilemna.

Anyway,
Thanks for the tips

orangeBloke:
Having used the Sony line before I can answer Gilligan's points in relation to them at least.
1. All controls are accessible except for the lcd control. So if the lcd is switched off when you enter the water it'll be staying off and you can't know what you're shooting as the view finder is obscured by the casing
2. The Sony flash has three levels of power setting so it gives a little bit of help but I wouldn't use it unless you're very close to the subject as back scatter is a bit of a problem
3. And no there is no diffuser for the flash thus the back scatter. I know that the Canon models do have a diffuser and also better white balance adjusting

The other thing to note is that the Canon housing for the S400, the WP-DC800, is only pressure tested to 30m whereas the Sony one is rated to 40m.

32.gif

Personally I wouldn't dwell on the video function of a still digital camera as respects its underwater usage. You would be using it with only the ambient light, unless you were investing in a video light. It sounds like you are expecting good still and video shots with the camera you choose. I have taken some underwater video clips with my Oly cameras and they are okay but the still photos are what its primary function is.
You may want to decide if you prefer video over still before making your purchase.

Back
Top Bottom