need help - buying my first underwater cam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red_infinity

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I need some help on this as I don't know much about underwater cameras. I have my eye on a Sealife DC600, but was wondering if anyone knows of a better camera setup i can get around $500, preferably a camera i can use on land as well and not just dedicated to underwater. Thanks.

I had the DC500 and really liked it. When you don't have a clue as to what you are doing, it was nice to just take pictures. The learning curve was low, it was easy to mantain, and customer service is great. Mine was stolen, and I upgraded to a Oly. This link is a member with a DC500 for sale check it out. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=193686

I ordered a DC600 before going diving in Maui. Unfortunately it did not arrive before we left. I have received it since but haven't had a chance to dive with it. I too was looking for something that I could use for general use on land so that I wouldn't have to carry multiple cameras. Since I've bought and still have several digital cameras each with different pros & cons I decide to get the DC600 with the thought in mind that it will be a learning experience.

I've been trying the camera on land without the housing and I must say it is fairly basic. It doesn't seem have very good low light capabilities and so the flash needs to be used if not in good lighting conditions. This is not a big concern since most of the out of water photo will probably be in good light. But I'm glad I got the external flash with it for underwater. Hopefully someone will comment on how well it works with the built-in flash.

The only other comment has to do with the battery capacity. While using it on land it seemed to go from full to charge to a "less than full" with only a few shots. I haven't tested it to see how many shot I can get on a charge yet. I would however suggest that you get an extra battery, nonetheless. This way you can change it out between dives.

I plan on testing it in a local bay with very low visibility this comming weekend just to get a feel for it and more importantly find out how much weight I need to make it neutrally bouyant. I've read it is quite bouyant.

-Mark-

There are a ton of choices...there is a compilation of various models with links to images and discussions about them if you follow the Pink Link in my signature (also the sticky at the top of the UW Photo area). That might help you get started.

FWIW the SeaLife wouldn't make my list.

I picked up a used Oly 5060 for 175.00 on ebay and the Oly case on there for 50.00. It is a cheap way to get started and see if you like it and I think it will give me something to grow into also. Took it out last weekend and it worked great and got some nice pics for not having a clue.

You can always look at canon. they have decently priced cameras. MOST of the powershots with a housing are about $500. I would recomend looking at www.scuba.com. they have all different types of cameras and housings.

The Sealife DC 600 is one of the easiest to use, best value cameras around.
Larger 2.5" LCD display – Click here to see
Non-slip, rubber armored housing
Use it without the housing for all your topside photos
Easy to operate full function controls
12x zoom (3X optical/4X digital zoom)
12 Land Modes - Night and Day from Portrait to Landscape
Sea Mode - "Color Booster" Richer colors at deeper depths
Autofocus system down to 2 inches
Adjustable white balance
Adjustable flash settings for use with or without macro lens
Internal flash with red-eye reduction
Video mode with audio feature