Need for drysuit speciality?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody that would go to 200' for a first dive for their first ever drysuit dive deserves to get bent. That story has no relevance in this thread because the OP has the brains to question what instruction makes sense. Your DM/tech friend is a cowboy with no common sense (if the story is even true)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The story is true. I didn't say he is a friend, and yes, he is a cowboy.

I did my homework before buying my drysuit including taking the course beforehand. In my case, it ended up not being more expensive as I did not buy my suit locally and the savings in cost and taxes more than made up what I would have paid locally (course included).

I think the course or somebody or really knows what he or she is talking about is very important for the very same reasons enunciated by tammystorm. Many things can bite you in the rear end and it is important that not only you are aware of them but you also practice corrective actions to alleviate the outcomes.

On the other hand, my GF did purchase a drysuit over a year and a half ago and never took the course. However, we went through all my reference materials as well as the exercises as well. I use a Whites Fusion, she elected to go after a crushed/compressed neoprene one with neoprene neck seal and latex cuffs. While she initially requested built-in boots (supposedly warmer) she ended up having her suit modified shortly after for soft socks and rock boots after having her feet coming out of the boots more time she could care for,even though the legs had been cut for her height.

The one major benefit of a drysuit class is that, should you ever want to RENT a dry suit, the shop may require it. I got certified in a dry suit and did not get the card, which is why my husband ended up renting a woman's small DUI suit in LA one day :)

There are a lot of choices to make in selecting a suit -- suit material, seal material, footgear, pockets . . . There are tons of threads here detailing the advantages and disadvantages of each. MY recommendation is that, whatever you buy (unless you go for neoprene seals) get the SiTech Necktite system installed on it. Having the ability to swap out a neck seal in the field may save a dive trip for you someday. And no matter what, you WILL have to replace neck seals periodically, and having the ring means you don't have to send the suit in to a shop and wait a couple of weeks to get it back, or have the right kind of form and glue, if you prefer to DIY.

I did my homework before buying my drysuit including taking the course beforehand. In my case, it ended up not being more expensive as I did not buy my suit locally and the savings in cost and taxes more than made up what I would have paid locally (course included).

That's kinda what I did. It's easier to pick a suit you are going to keep for a long time if you have done some dry suit diving already and know what you want from experience. The course is usually about 99 bucks at most places and usually doesn't make the deal sweeter when you get the course for "free" with the suit as has been said. Of course, some homework here and with a dry suit buddy will also suffice.

A DUI from the shop I took the course from wanted well over $2000 for the dry suit. I was able to get the same suit elsewhere new for about $1000. I also just bought a new Pinnacle dry suit for about $500 that goes for about 2k msrp. Not bragging, just pointing out that bargains can be found if you have the time to wait for them. Also consider used. For the diving I do, a dry suit is not a necessity so I could wait and hold out.

All that said, if money isn't an issue or if your LDS of choice has good prices/selection and a decent teacher then nothing wrong with that! It does have some one stop shop advantages for sure and will save you a ton of time. Time can be money as well.

Good luck and have fun!!!

I taught myself to dive a drysuit at about dive #30. I asked the vendor what skills I should work on/practice, then went to a quarry and did that. It took about 5 dives to get things worked out. About 100 drysuit dives later I have never had a problem with the suit.

Trilam dries faster than neoprene and packs smaller. The fact that it has no inherent insulation means that you can wear it in any temperature range, so long as you can fit the undergarments underneath it.

PS - if you have the option, add the optional bellows pockets on your legs!

The dirty little secret about the drysuit specialty is that 2/3 of the course is about buying the drysuit.

Depends on the instructor. Since I'm not affiliated with a shop, I have no incentive to try to "sell" a suit. Instead, I cover the pros and cons to the suit materials in addition to the care for the suit. I've seen many people, who have never taken the course, beat the heck out of their suit. Then complain the suit sucks when they have to get it fixed all of the time.

Depending on you skill and knowledge and that of the instructor the Dry Suit course is likely to be either the biggest waste of time and money you can engage in, or the best course you ever took. It's hard to tell you which it will be.

As far as suit selection is concerned, here are my thoughts, in an earlier thread.

Depending on you skill and knowledge and that of the instructor the Dry Suit course is likely to be either the biggest waste of time and money you can engage in, or the best course you ever took. It's hard to tell you which it will be.

As far as suit selection is concerned, here are my thoughts, in an earlier thread.

+1

It really depends on the instructor.

I dive dry for about a year now, own 2 suits (DUI TLS350, DUI CF200), and taught myself how to dive them safely including uncommon drills like getting off the bottom in heavy steel doubles with a fully flooded suit and a (simulated) failed wing.

However, after eavesdropping on a drysuit class taught by Bob Sherwood I am planning to spend an extra $300 on a GUE drysuit class. The two students that were in the class I saw are far more experienced than I am and even they raved about the additional insight and skills they took away from this class.

+1 on TartanFrog's comment.

I've been diving for 10+ years. All wetsuit diving. About 75 dives in cold Monterey Bay water (approx 50-55F at surface) just went through a training class this summer, purchased my suit in August and I've been out now a few times.

I highly recommend training or experienced mentorship. I feel like I learned a lot from the PADI DVD. I purchased this online as my LDS would have had to special order and it would have taken too long. And I got a lot of tips while diving from the instructor.

I don't think you can have too much training or advice when it comes to diving. The worst case is you've "wasted" a day in the water. Shame. :wink:

My instructor was also willing to do a condensed course. I watched the DVD and filled out the quizzes in advance on my own. And we did the pool dive (actually in open water), and then two check-out dives, all in the same long day. Throughout the day we were able to talk diving, and drysuits and I was able to build up some knowledge there.

I didn't wind up buying the suit with this instructor because of distance from my home. And also because I thought he didn't have enough experience sizing for the suit I was interested in buying.

I know you aren't asking about equipment here (that will come next). But trilam and neoprene aren't your only choices now. I wound up getting the new BARE SB System. I'm really happy with the purchase and the recommendations and sizing I wound up getting from my not quite local LDS. The outer material on the BARE SB is a new material that is stretchy and breathable, but has the thickness (I should say thinness) of trilam.

I've been diving in the suit a few times now and really love it. I'm amazed at the end of a warm day (on the surface) with lots of swimming, that the undergarments are completely dry and there is a dampness to the interior of the outer layer.

Don't work for BARE. But couldn't be happier with my purchases.

Here's a video of the suit in action from this recent weekend:
Eric Elia

Back
Top Bottom