Need exposure protection recommendation--an interesting case...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

austinthor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, here's my conundrum...I am female, 5'11" tall, 135 pounds and have about 11% body fat (that's significant because I have almost no natural insulation). I just wrapped up a dive trip to Cozumel and dove with Blue XT Sea (love them!), so our dives were long (between 65 and 80 minutes) and I dove an average of 3 times per day (4 times on 2 days). I need to mention my wetsuit does have some ill-fitting arms and some gapping underwater. On the first day, I started out with my 3mm O'Neill wetsuit and was frigid after my first dive, so I added a 3mm Henderson hat. On the second day I added a 3mm shorty *over* my 3mm wetsuit and put the hat on after about 25 minutes...if I put the hat on any sooner I got hot. For my 2 night dives I added a 3mm Henderson vest *under* my 3mm O'Neill wetsuit and the 3mm shorty on top of all of that. I know you are: 1) In disbelief that I wore so much clothing in Cozumel and 2) Laughing hysterically by now. It's OK... The 3rd day I tried the 3mm vest/3mm wetsuit/3mm shorty combination (during the day) but it was *way* too hot. I took the vest off and went back to the 3mm wetsuit and 3mm shorty. The 4th day I left the vest out of the mix as well. So where does this leave me?...I need a new wetsuit. I don't want to die sweating in a 5mm wetsuit in the tropics, so Christi from Blue XT Sea recommended a 3mm Pinnacle...merino wool lined. I know the Pinnacles have better seals and protection to begin with, and with the wool I'll get a bit of added protection without the bulk of a 5mm suit. If I have a vest and the hat plus the 3mm merino lined Pinnacle I think I'll be set. What's your opinion/guidance/advice? Thanks!!!!!!! Heidi

Heidi, I have the Pinnacle 3 mil merino elastoprene suit. Extremely flexible and well made. I have a little more body fat than you(seriously now just a little, my wife says -yeah right!) but as an instructor I tend to do twice as many dives a day as the people I teach. Therefore I do tend to chill. All I can say is my 3 mil is nearly as warm as my 5 mil BARE velocity. I don't recommend anything to anyone I would not use my self. This suit I recommend. It is well made, comfortable, and very flexible. ANd with Pinnacle having like 16 stock sizes you should be able to get a good fit. This jumped out at me early in your post. No wetsuit will do what it should if it does not fit right. Again I recommend this suit as well. I dove it in Bonaire doing sometimes 5 dives a day of nearly an hour each time. No problems. Go for it!

I'm not as tall as you are, but I don't have much natural insulation, either, and I get cold easily. I've gone to diving a 5 mil suit EVERYWHERE, with a 2 mil hooded vest if the water is below 80 degrees. I'm warmer in the water, and even nicer, I don't shiver on the boat any more.

Heidi, I have the Pinnacle 3 mil merino elastoprene suit. Extremely flexible and well made. I have a little more body fat than you(seriously now just a little, my wife says -yeah right!) but as an instructor I tend to do twice as many dives a day as the people I teach. Therefore I do tend to chill. All I can say is my 3 mil is nearly as warm as my 5 mil BARE velocity. I don't recommend anything to anyone I would not use my self. This suit I recommend. It is well made, comfortable, and very flexible. ANd with Pinnacle having like 16 stock sizes you should be able to get a good fit. This jumped out at me early in your post. No wetsuit will do what it should if it does not fit right. Again I recommend this suit as well. I dove it in Bonaire doing sometimes 5 dives a day of nearly an hour each time. No problems. Go for it!
Jim.
Thanks much for your recommendation and feedback on this suit. It looks like I'll be a M--Tall, but the merino 3mm doesn't come in this size. Hmmm...I'll give Pinnacle a call tomorrow. Or, as another person recommended I may have to do a custom suit...
All My Best,
Heidi

I'm not as tall as you are, but I don't have much natural insulation, either, and I get cold easily. I've gone to diving a 5 mil suit EVERYWHERE, with a 2 mil hooded vest if the water is below 80 degrees. I'm warmer in the water, and even nicer, I don't shiver on the boat any more.
How would you comment on the bulk of the 5mm vs. the 3mm? I'm thinking I might find that extra bulk really irritating. I don't suit up long before the dive site (maybe 2-3 minutes) and I always remove my suit completely after each dive so I can warm up. Even sitting 2-3 minutes in a 3mm suit plus a 3mm shorty was really uncomfortable. What are your thoughts/comments about your 5mm...and what brand do you have? Thanks for the guidance!
Heidi

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom