Need Dive Operator Suggestions for Maui trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruzbound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
We will be coming to Maui in November 2013 and will be staying in Kahana. We will have a car so we are thinking about driving to Kehei for one day to try one of those dive operators - anyone have any suggestions? I have been in touch with Pro-Divers so far and they have been very good. We would also like some diver operator suggestions for the area we are staying in. We prefer (if possible) to go with smaller groups. We are also go to do a day or two of shore diving with ShakaDoug - are there any special places we should ask him to take us? Thank you in advance for all the help.

cruzbound

Most the operators are very good, just depends on were you want to dive. If you want to try something different, go on a scooter dive with scubahawk27 on these forums. Check out there website @ www.mauiscooterdivers.com . Going on those things are a "BLAST".

If you're going to drive down from Kahana, it's going to be an early morning with ProDivers - or just about anyone else. They meet at the Kihei Ramp at 6AM which means leaving Kahana at 5AMish. B&B Scuba & Mike Severns also leave at similar times. I can never remember the name but there's one operator there that leaves a little later. No one goes real late since they try to beat the early afternoon tradewinds coming back from Molokini - since they launch from the boat ramp, the boats are typically smaller. B&B has a 40' dive catamaran now - they take 12. So does Severns afaik.

Arguably the best dive with Doug is Makena Landing. 5 Caves/Graves is another option. I also really like Wailea Beach, but others often don't. We often see something unusual there - there's a trigger that lives there only. I'd tell Doug what you want to see and your experience level and let him pick it. Anything from #11 down is an option here except maybe the last 5-6 - access is more difficult for those - Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands

Near Kahana - actually south of there in Lahaina: Extended Horizons is a smaller operator. Lahaina Divers is the larger operator in that area and has the biggest boats. Both keep their boats in Lahaina - the closest boat diving from Kahana.

Maui Dive Shop leaves from Ma'alea Harbor about 30? mins. drive south as does Maui Diamond II. MDS has a shop in Kahana Gateway Mall for tanks etc. You may not like boat diving with MDS as they have a Pro 48' - and will go with 24 divers. They often get close to that since they feed them from their 7 shops. They're also a little higher at $139 - many of the other shops are closer to $119. I never dove with Maui Diamond but they say the right things on their website.

For shore diving near you, check out Tiny Bubbles or Kapalua Dive Co. There's a shallower shore dive at Kapalua Bay. Mala Wharf in Lahaina is about the best there is but ask someone about the legal entry. (hint - it's the more difficult one..) There's also a shore dive at the Sheraton Black Rock in nearby Kaanapali. Easy entry but can be crowded - lots of snorkelers.

Last edited:
Thanks diversteve - this information is very helpful. Just a couple more questions - I was looking at a company called Hawaiian Rafting Adventure (for the Lanai dive to the Cathedrals) too - any input on them would be appreciated. Also, do the dive operators in Kehei and near where we are staying go to the same places? We are okay with getting up early to use a Kihei operator once or twice but we want to go to different dive sites. I don't want to go to Molokini five times (would like to do the back wall once though - any suggestions on who to use for that? I have been talking to Pro-Divers about that). I will definitely check out Extended Horizons too. For shore diving near where we are staying will ShakaDoug guide us or do we have to use someone else?

Thanks again for all the help everyone.

In my experience, all the Kihei operators will do the first dive at Molokini, and the second dive somewhere else. My favorite Kihei boat is the Mike Severns boat, because Pauline, who owns the operation, is co-author of one of the marine life guides for the Hawaiian Islands. They often plan their dives to take you where some unusual, endemic species has been noted, and they have a lot of ID materials on the boat.

I have done the back wall at Molokini, and although it was a pleasant dive, I don't think it's worth making a huge effort to do it, unless you have never dived a big wall before. There is much more life in the crater.

The pinnacles off Lanai are a very good dive, and the Cathedrals are beautiful. Of course, I'm biased, because they resemble caves :)

The Mala Wharf is my favorite Maui shore dive, but the legal entry is a pain.

The pinnacles off Lanai are a very good dive, and the Cathedrals are beautiful. Of course, I'm biased, because they resemble caves :)

The Mala Wharf is my favorite Maui shore dive, but the legal entry is a pain.

Love the Cathedrals.....

257 Lahaina Divers.jpg

And the "illegal" entrance to Mala Wharf works very well :D

a company called Hawaiian Rafting Adventure (for the Lanai dive to the Cathedrals) too - any input on them would be appreciated.
I don't - short of seeing them at 1st Cathedral once. They were bouncing around pretty good - of course so were we. Not sure if the zodiac or a boat was the better option that morning...I'm guessing they were back before we were also.
Also, do the dive operators in Kehei and near where we are staying go to the same places? We are okay with getting up early to use a Kihei operator once or twice but we want to go to different dive sites. I don't want to go to Molokini five times (would like to do the back wall once though - any suggestions on who to use for that? I have been talking to Pro-Divers about that).
Almost exclusively the Kihei operators go to Molokini - front or back then return closer to Maui. ex. from B&B:
Normal profile for a 2 tank dive trip is the first dive at one of the many sites at Molokini and the second along the S. Maui Coast with the Green Sea Turtles.
From Lahaina - I believe (not positive) that Extended Horizons only goes to Lanai.

Lahaina Divers takes their bigger boat over to Molokini weekly since they can make the run back when it's rougher. They do a lot of Lanai diving also. I haven't dove with either in the afternoon so IDK where they go - my assumption would be near Maui as well. They mention a generic "Turtle Town" dive - typically that's anywhere turtles are found along the coast - fairly recently one of those spots is the Carpathian.
I will definitely check out Extended Horizons too.
I would as they're the smaller boat operator in that area - seems more in line with your wishes.
For shore diving near where we are staying will ShakaDoug guide us or do we have to use someone else?
I don't think Doug's permit allows him to guide in West Maui. That's why I mentioned Tiny Bubbles and Kapalua Dive Co. Extended Horizons also offers shore diving nearby. If you wanted to try on your own, Old Airport Beach is a pretty benign site. Easy entry, fairly shallow for a long way out.

Last edited:
I stay in Kahana every Oct.
Best shore dive Mala Wharf, day or night.
I would use MAUI DIVING Scuba Center,referral dives. Open Water Certification for Mala and ask for Mike W.
If I remember right commercial diver operators can not take guided trips from Makena Landing.
That is why Shaka and the others dive five graves, harder entry/exit than the legal side of Mala Wharf.
I have dove an Extended Horizons dive on the monolith and cathedral. Decent operator, and good DM.s It was my 6th and 7th dive after my OW cert the week before.
This Oct I will either dive with Mike W from Maui diving at Mala if I can not find a dive buddy.
I tend to try a couple of new operators each trip.
I beleive Ed Robinson will be my next.
I would not dive with Shaka Doug again.
Lahania Divers and Extended Horizons were decent enough for a return also.
my 2 cents

I can't say enough good about Shaka Doug, 5 caves/graves is a must do dive. Call Doug before you go, I'm sure he can fix you up.

You'll have a great time with Shaka Doug. My son & I dove 5 graves with him last July, and had a blast.
We did a trip to the Monolith and 1st Cathedral at Lanai with Extended Horizons, and can't think of a single thing I would change to make the trip any more perfect.
Most of our dives there were self guided. My favorite sights on West Maui were, Mala Wharf, Honolua Bay, and the reef in front of our hotel, the Kaanapali Beach Club.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom