Need Deco Dive Buddy in August - Austin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You should take him a dozen roses, some chocolates and nylons...

Oh come on Craig, that's a little harsh.

But having met Daylon... :D

My bad. :rofl3:

It looks like I kinda see where this thread is headed.
:popcorn:

LMAO... now that was funny, I don't care who you are!

Okay guys and gals...'nuf joshin' about Daylon...he's had some good places he has dived (dove, diven?) at.

Just wonder how he is now...now that he's gone all Hollywood on us and such. :11:

Wonder if I can get a pic. like that to do my avitar with? Just wondering. :D

Hmmm...wonder if he had to give the people that produced the avitar pic. some...nylons? :D

LOL! Okay, next TSD event I'll bring my camera gear and you can do your best "Sea Hunt" pose and I'll photoshop it up for you to use as an avatar....

Just finished Cat on a Hot Tin Roof at Grapevine's Runway Theatre - next play I'm doing is Laughing Stock that opens in July.

D.

Okay guys and gals...'nuf joshin' about Daylon...he's had some good places he has dived (dove, diven?) at.

Just wonder how he is now...now that he's gone all Hollywood on us and such. :11:

Wonder if I can get a pic. like that to do my avitar with? Just wondering. :D

Hmmm...wonder if he had to give the people that produced the avitar pic. some...nylons? :D

Well... just got off the phone with Mr. Chatterton - turns out he's surprisingly normal. We talked for about an hour or so regarding my experience and what he thought (and I agree) were some of my weaknesses as related to diving.

Mainly what it all boils down to experience - he suggested that I need some more deep air dives (possibly taking extended range by itself and getting some miles on that) before making the jump to trimix.

He also mentioned the importance of keeping a good dive log, especially where it relates to technical diving. I agree that a log may not be very important for your typical non-deco "go look at the pretty fish" type dives, but that in technical diving it helps you get farther faster because it makes you really look at every dive in detail.

Sooo.. I think I'm still going to make the trip, but I'm going to try to get extended range done this summer, and practice as much as I can ahead of time. It would still be a helluva trip, and I could get some solid experience doing deep air deco dives with John.

I've got some work to do in the next couple of months - and now that I have a clear goal in my head, I can work backwards to see what steps I need to take to get there.

Good conversation with him all around - I think his opinion and assessment of my current abilities were correct and I appreciated his insight.

D.

I'd be happy to join in on some Deco in August:D

Mainly what it all boils down to experience - he suggested that I need some more deep air dives (possibly taking extended range by itself and getting some miles on that) before making the jump to trimix.

Takes a brave man to talk about doing an Extended Range class on Scubaboard :D

Personally I dont see the need for this class. Why not just do Trimix? That should give you the experience of deep dives and after that you can make your own mind up.

I have a TDI deco card and TDI Normoxic Trimix. If I want to do an air dive to,say,170 then technically I am not certified for it,but if I have experience of 200 foot dives on trimix as well as 150 foot dives on air then the 170 on air does not seem an unreasonable jump to me. Certainly not enough to justify another course.

Hope to see you at Travis.

Hey, I'm out diving somewhere most weekends, so extended deco dives in LT in August shouldn't be a problem. PM me in advance when you're heading down and I'd be happy to join you.

I am curious as to how J.C. defines a detailed dive log. What kind of information would he expect to see in a log entry from a technical dive of some sort?

Well, I think it just puts you the mindset of planning your dive and reviewing it afterwards. (It might be the military training he had - wanting an "after action" review or debrief after a dive) - Noting any equipment changes, weights, maybe SAC rate, temp, etc. I would think that with the planning that goes into a tech dive it would be a good practice to get into.

He said he keeps separate logs for rebreather, trimix, open circuit, closed, commercial, etc....

I don't want to start a pepsi / coke war but he said that extended range qualifies you for adv trimix after so many logged dives - and the experience would serve you well when deciding to make that jump.

Heck, I was just happy to have a chance to talk with him, he was very personable and I'm going to try to work on some of the suggestions he had for me. Everyone has a different approach or philosophy to diving, and his made sense to me.

D.

Hey, I'm out diving somewhere most weekends, so extended deco dives in LT in August shouldn't be a problem. PM me in advance when you're heading down and I'd be happy to join you.

I am curious as to how J.C. defines a detailed dive log. What kind of information would he expect to see in a log entry from a technical dive of some sort?

He'd make a better impression if he brought John a keg of Sofnolime for his rebreather. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom