Need Datamask downloading help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kroorda

Contributor
Reaction score
I have two new Datamasks and have been unable to upload/download either of them. The manual (pg 124) says that, to upload/download, you should be in the SET F mode, but that didn't work for me. I called Oceanic, and they said that I only have to turn the computer on and be in the NOR mode, but that didn't work either. The instructions with Oceanlog say that you simply plug the USB cable into the mask and it will indicate that you have 120 seconds to do the download. That doesn't work. Boy, any suggestions from a person who has had success downloading a mask would be deeply appreciated. Thanks so much. Kent

Kent - - I got mine recently and had no problems - the Oceanlog software is not the most straight forward, but see if this covers anything you might have missed:

It seems easiet to first plug the usb cable into your computer without the datamask attached (you'll attach it at a later stage).

then in the oceanlog software in the verticle column to left click on "dive" under dive log - this window will have red plus and minus and a minus in brackets in the toolbar to the right click on the plus symbol that opens a new window - click download from pdc and of course select datamask in the drop down window and then hit ok - this will open a completely new window with very detailed instructions about connecting the mask and turning it on and getting the 120 second countdown then click on the start button from menu bar to begin......etc.

I am assuming that you didn't get that far from your post - if you have already gotten all those steps and are still having problem then I appologize in advance for posting this stuff that you already did successfully - let me know if you have any luck or if this helped at all.

Additionally there is pretty good info in the help section of the oceanlog software - that's what I had to refer to in order to get all the steps I needed.

Do not put your datamask into any of the "set" modes. Leave it on the main screen.

When you plug the cable into the mask, check that you have the pins facing the right direction. Once the cable makes a connection, the mask display will change to "PC" and begin counting down from 120 seconds.

The cable connection is a flimsy one. You may need to jiggle the connector or slide it around to make a good connection. You'll know you have a good connection when the display starts counting down.

Hmmm. I gave that a try, but no luck. I'm wondering if something might be wrong with the mask(s).?? I'm making a good & proper connection with the plug in the mask. I'll try contacting Oceanic again. Thanks so much for your suggestions. At least I know it's possible now! G'day, Kent

page 124 does not say must be in Set F mode - it should be on the Main Surface mode (check page 125). The only referrence to Set F on page 124 is stating that you must set F02 alarm from the mask as oppossed to setting with pc software.

BTY - where are you located in Colo? Just curious as I am in the Denver metro area.

Hi Shark. Sorry about the delay in responding to your message. Actually, we left for Australia and the Coral Sea on Nov 1 and just got back today. Before we left, I contacted Oceanic about uploading/downloading the mask(s). After spending 1/2 hour on the phone with them (they are very nice), they finally admitted that there are 'issues' regarding the uploading & downloading of the mask; particularly that the connector does not fit well and stay in well to the socket. They also told me that they are considering changes for the uploading/downloading connection (which, I agree, they should). At one point, I was able to get the pins to line up and the 120 second countdown started. However, the connection was lost before a complete download was made. Also, when I was on the phone with Oceanic, I told them that I was leaving for a dive trip the next day. When I told them that, they strongly recommended that I take an extra mask and computer on the trip! The guy at Oceanic also told me that he was very frustrated with getting the mask to upload/download and that he only acheived success when he used a download cord from a VT3. My feeling is that: For $1500, everything should work perfectly and without fumbling around. In fact, for that price, I don't think that it would be asking too much to ask them to use Bluetooth for uploading/downloading. Next, after spending that much money, one shouldn't be strongly recommended to take a backup mask and computer. It's sort of like buying a Mercedes, and not having the AM radio work. Even though the buyer might never even listen to the AM radio, he/she would certainly want it to work, and work easily (without fumbling around) when needed. For that reason, I took both masks back. A person could buy a very expensive computer AND a very expensive mask for less than $1500. (The computer in the Datamask is esentially a VT3, which retails for $895). Had I paid $395 for the Datamask, I wouldn't care. But, after paying $1.5k, I want everything to work perfectly, and, without fumbling around. The Oceanlog software (made by Palegic) is also unworthy of a high price tag. Surely, they could have put an "upload>" and/or "download<" button in the software so that one could do an upload or download by pressing the button. But that is far from being the case. It's sort of like, with the Mercedes example, having to manually tune in an AM station if you want to listen to one - without having any idea as to what button/knob you should use to tune the station in with.. Don't get me wrong, I like the mask, and the guys at Oceanic are very nice. But, the Datamask is NOT a $1500 piece of hardware; at least not yet. Oceanice says that there will be improvements and modifications in the near future. (That tells you something right there). They also told me that there are a number of errors in the Datamask instruction manual, but did not say specifically what those errors are. I am in southwest Denver. Best Regards to you and thanks again for your response. Kent

Shark, I forgot to mention another thing. One of the guys on our trip to Australia had a Datamask. Not only was he unable to download/upload his mask, but ALL the screws in the mask had corrosion on them after being in salt water for less than a week of dives.

Hi Shark. Sorry about the delay in responding to your message. Actually, we left for Australia and the Coral Sea on Nov 1 and just got back today. Before we left, I contacted Oceanic about uploading/downloading the mask(s). After spending 1/2 hour on the phone with them (they are very nice), they finally admitted that there are 'issues' regarding the uploading & downloading of the mask; particularly that the connector does not fit well and stay in well to the socket. They also told me that they are considering changes for the uploading/downloading connection (which, I agree, they should). At one point, I was able to get the pins to line up and the 120 second countdown started. However, the connection was lost before a complete download was made. Also, when I was on the phone with Oceanic, I told them that I was leaving for a dive trip the next day. When I told them that, they strongly recommended that I take an extra mask and computer on the trip! The guy at Oceanic also told me that he was very frustrated with getting the mask to upload/download and that he only acheived success when he used a download cord from a VT3. My feeling is that: For $1500, everything should work perfectly and without fumbling around. In fact, for that price, I don't think that it would be asking too much to ask them to use Bluetooth for uploading/downloading. Next, after spending that much money, one shouldn't be strongly recommended to take a backup mask and computer. It's sort of like buying a Mercedes, and not having the AM radio work. Even though the buyer might never even listen to the AM radio, he/she would certainly want it to work, and work easily (without fumbling around) when needed. For that reason, I took both masks back. A person could buy a very expensive computer AND a very expensive mask for less than $1500. (The computer in the Datamask is esentially a VT3, which retails for $895). Had I paid $395 for the Datamask, I wouldn't care. But, after paying $1.5k, I want everything to work perfectly, and, without fumbling around. The Oceanlog software (made by Palegic) is also unworthy of a high price tag. Surely, they could have put an "upload>" and/or "download<" button in the software so that one could do an upload or download by pressing the button. But that is far from being the case. It's sort of like, with the Mercedes example, having to manually tune in an AM station if you want to listen to one - without having any idea as to what button/knob you should use to tune the station in with.. Don't get me wrong, I like the mask, and the guys at Oceanic are very nice. But, the Datamask is NOT a $1500 piece of hardware; at least not yet. Oceanice says that there will be improvements and modifications in the near future. (That tells you something right there). They also told me that there are a number of errors in the Datamask instruction manual, but did not say specifically what those errors are. I am in southwest Denver. Best Regards to you and thanks again for your response. Kent

Koorda:

You know I really can't argue with anything you have said in your reply - I agree with every point you made. I have downloaded a couple dives so far, and I did indeed notice that I had to push/hold the connector in place during the download to achieve success with the download, and I have found some pretty silly glitches in the Oceanlog software. That being said - I love the mask on a dive - it fits very well, it's comfortable, and I like having the numbers that I need on right there in front of my eyes - highly visible, no more squinting to read wrist mount computer. As with any high-tech gadget the early adapters will always pay a price monetarily and have to deal with some early bugs - but I just have to have it :wink:

And as you said it is a great concept, and I know there will be improvements with time, but from a diving standpoint (regardless of data download) I love the mask - I'll put up with the few oddities in the system for the convienience on the dive portion of use.

Did you have a good trip? I did Mike Ball down there in '01 - - had a great time, and I highly recomend that liveaboard operation - was funny when we were on the liveaboard there were three other couples on the boat from Denver metro area - go figure :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom