Need COZ advice !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

go_irish_91

Reaction score
Planning a budget trip to Cozumel Apr 29 to May 6th. Want to use the dive shop near place I am staying. There are a lot of dive shops, to say the least. There is a fair too, which I can't find any info on. So I have a few questions and looking for answers.

1. Has anyone used a dive shop called Diving Adventures?
2. Has anyone stayed at Palapa Amaranto on Calle 5 Sur (between 15 and 20 Av) http://www.cozumel.net/bb/amaranto/
3. Has anyone been to the Feria de Cedral (Cedral Fair)?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Steve

There are over 130 dive shops here in Cozumel and it's hard to keep track of them all but Diving Adventures is a small shop that's been around a long time so you should have good experiences with them.

Same with Amaranto B&B

If you'd like to know more about Festival de Cedral go here
www.cozumelinsider.com and look under Calendar of Events. It gives a bit more info about the activity. Essentially it's just another excuse to consume beer! ;-)

Another way to save money and stay within your budget is to try "packages"...have you seen this one?
7 Nights/15 Tanks for $465 per person
www.cozumelinsider.com/specials

Have fun in Cozumel!!=-)

I am an Architect so, the Amaranto is just way too interesting to pass up. Thanks for the info on Diving Adventures. There are a lot of shops. One question...will I need AC during that time? The coolest room is the loft of the tower. It isn't AC'd, which is probably a good thing anyway when diving.

Thanks for the help.

Steven :)

OK, I have received some positive feedback on Palapa Amaranto from another board.

Still looking for some experience with Diving Adventures

Still looking for anyone who has been to Feria de Cedral in the past.

Thanks

Having lived here now for 9 years, I've been to Cedral many times. As I indicated earlier, it's simply another excuse to consume beer for the most part! If you've ever been to a say....county fair...it's like that...some rides brought over from the mainland for the kids, then of course the cock fight/bull fight arena with it's bloody activities and then the cultural presentations ....dances mostly from the Mayan heritage. My preference personally is for COZUMEL CARNAVAL which is going on this week!! Clik on the link below to read all about it and see spectacular photos of these events!

www.cozumelinsider.com/carnaval

I will be in the Plaza Las Glorias from March 30 through April 8. I will be diving with Dive Paradise. I did quite a lot of research due to not having the foggiest idea who to dive with. I found that all dive shops get a lot of good reviews, with a few unhappy customers. I will be doing 5 2 tank am trips with 4 evening 1 tank trips, with AOW certification with Dive Paradise.

sharkman
:guitar:

Diving adventures is owned and operated by Felipe Romo, and has been a long time on the Island.

Small boat, small group so you can expect to have a lot of attention.

Memo Mendoza
www.aldora.com

I am very interested in hearing about your stay at the Palapa.

Having dove Cozumel many times I HIGHLY recommed Pascual's Scuba. I dive with them every time.

The boat is fast. The service is personalized and the guides are great.

When I went this Feb. is was just me and my buddy in the boat. We dove the northern part of the island and it was really cool.

Next time I'm trying for the eastern side of the island.

Here's what ya need to answer first:

Do you want a fast boat - In and out of the dive sites faster, shorter tansfer times between the dock and the site, a little more bumpy ride.

Do you want a big cattle boat - And I use the term loosely. Bigger boat, more people, slower, More facilities, nice ride to the dive site, more time spent on the water, more room to move around, less bumpy ride, food.

I have opted for the bigger boats through Aqua Safari because I like the people and I like to mingle with the divers on the boats. I like to catch a little nap between dives while laying out on the top deck. They always have fresh fruit and snacks (sodas).

My dive buddy prefers the smaller faster boats. He gets to the dive site fast. He gets back to the hotel fast.

But I am going for the diving, and either way, as long as you get out there, it's a win-win situation.

Look for a shop that supports what you need... then the service is usually good everywhere. I did hear that there are only 33 shops on the Island that conform to USCG regulations for their boats (Live vests, Oxygen, etc...) look in the Dive mag's this month, I forget which one it's in...

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom