Need cart recommendations.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I need a cart that can transport 2 doubles rigs and all gear a half mile down a dirt path with roots and rocks and **** making it real bumpy. So the wheels need to be pretty big, probably with inflatable tires on them BUT! It also needs to be able to fold up and stow away compactly in my car :)

Look in the SoCal forum there's a long thread on carts for the Catalina Express and local diving

I used to use an old luggage cart for my doubles but just upgraded. Bought this:
UpCart® Lift

And added 8 in pneumatic tires on it. Bought the tires from harbor freight and some bolts\bushings from Ace to adapt the 10mm to 5\8in for the tires. If you have access to a machine shop it would be better to just make new axles. When in use there is almost 6in of ground clearance and couldn't be happier with it.

It doesn't fold up, but I made this from a cheapo hand cart I got from Lowes. The wheels do come off rather easily and it rolls incredibly nicely over rough terrain. It allows me to transport my huge LP120s, a deco bottle, fins, mask and helmet all at the same time.I have a custom mount on the back door of my van to transport it.

full?d=1393623361.jpg

full?d=1455882157.jpg

I don't think my Dive-Kart fits your needs, but maybe you can pick & pull an idea from it to help your design.
Mine holds over 400lbs of crap and is rated for 700lbs. I can do my 1500ft walk in a single trip with locking the kart at dock. It holds:

50lbs of ice cubes for lobster & lionfish
Bug Bag
12lb no crush Rob Allen foam dive flag float
12 pack bottled water
Back Pack no-flame chemical oven for 6 steamy 400 degree individual lunches (gets hangry from finning hard diving)
2 LP121 water-heater sized steel tanks & 1 LP108 for a total of 405 cubic feet of nitrox (My sac rate ain't low)
2 gallon sized 'save-a-dive' dry bag for gps, phone, opticals, sting-kit, gopro, zipties, baggies, wrenches, etc, etc., etc.
Full set regs/fins/BPW/neoprenes, etc
1 Koah (swiss army knife style) speargun with looper & lionfish spear

The base cart is a nylon-glass Harper truck convertible hand cart so it won't rust. The lift plate is cut back to only 1inch so the entire kart breaks down to only 12 Inches thick by 43 inched tall and fits on the floor behind my driver's seat and the back bench seat of my car.

20190816_070610.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom