Need BC recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_moron:
I'm on a Balance BC with about 25 dives, and I don't feel like a dork.

funny you say that cause two of my regular dive buddies use the balance ones a dm and the other is an instructor

Don Janni:
Gas bag??!? A BP/W has a gas-bag. So you're argument must be form-fitted vs non form-fitted. It's not clear what your argument is but form-fitted or not form fitted is all that makes sense.

Form-fitted would only apply to jacket style BCD's so I it appears you advocate back inflation. You sure don't need a metal backplate to have a back inflation bc.

All forms of BC's are gas bags. Some people just get focused on the "pretty" gas bag, or the pillow padded gas bag that costs $600. "pretty" bags come in XS-S-M-L-XL sizes. BP/W with hog harnes is *typically* one size that can be adjusted for all. Yes, I know there's a company that makes multiple sizes of plates, but these are the exception, not the rule.

My argument is that simple is better. Less plastic is better. Less padding and plastic imitation D-rings are better. But I also know that everyone is different. I don't think that everyone should dive a BP/W. Dive what you want. Dive with just holding the tank under your arm is you like. I like the BP/W design, and find it superior. That's just my opinion though.

FD

Trim is soooo much easier with a plate. It puts weight up where it should naturally be, over your lungs. Trim matters on EVERY dive. People who dive in a constant vertical position have a much harder time than one who is trimmed correctly. Good trim can be achieved in a BC. I had great trim in my BC, but it takes a lot more tweaking and adjusting to get it right.

If you have something constructive to add, then post it. When all you have is insults and diatribes, stay lurking under your bridge.

FD

Well fire diver, after perusing your profile I see that you'e a sargent in the Army Reserves. NCOs, backbone for us all. I too am in the Reserves (10 years now) an Infantry Officer, after 18 years active. Received my CIB in Korea on the DMZ.

So... I'm going to let you slide on this one.

i vote horse collar bc,everyone mentioned all the other bc types.:mooner:

Hoohooker:
Mates,

I've been diving with the same Seaquest BC for many years and it is finally time to replace it. Trouble is I haven't been keeping up with the the makes and models of BCs as I have not been in the market for one until now so I need recommendations. I'm a warm water diver (Florida and Bahamas) and I've been diving for most of my life. I don't need anything fancy...comfort while diving is the most important factor. I've never used weight integration, but I'd give it a shot if it's highly recommended. Thanks for any help.

I would recommend a BP as well. I even have a couple of different kinds of BPs as I continue diving. DiveRite Stainless Steel plate, Aluminum plate and a Deep Sea Supply stainless steel plate with 8# plate weights.

If you like the fabric BCs and don't fit regular sizes I would check out Zeagle. I had a Zeagle Tech when I first started and the LDS got me a medium waist with a large shoulder combination since the all large size couldn't adjust down far enough in the waist for me. You can also get different size bladders for them too.

Those are the bc's i have experience with but I like the looks and function of the Scubapro bc weight system over the Zeagle.

MOD POST​

Just a friendly reminder to keep it civil, and on topic. The BP/W vs. everything else debate is no reason for things to get heated, or for anyone to resort to personal attacks.

Thanks for your corporation and understanding!

MOD POST​

sytech:
Would VERY highly recommend Cressi-Sub Aqualight R.

Before I bought it last year I did a lot of research in finding a warm water BC which is easy to travel with.

This BC is awesome, very reasonably priced and has lots of features. Double tank bands, 3 exhaust valves, large pockets, weight integrated using a snap release system. Keeps me upright on the surface too. Check out the price at LeisurePro.

Love it,

Sy

I got mine yesterday and tried it out in the pool...oh man, its the closest thing to sex as I've gotten for a while now...sorry for that awkward statement. It needed to be said, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom