Need BC recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoohooker

New
Reaction score
Mates,

I've been diving with the same Seaquest BC for many years and it is finally time to replace it. Trouble is I haven't been keeping up with the the makes and models of BCs as I have not been in the market for one until now so I need recommendations. I'm a warm water diver (Florida and Bahamas) and I've been diving for most of my life. I don't need anything fancy...comfort while diving is the most important factor. I've never used weight integration, but I'd give it a shot if it's highly recommended. Thanks for any help.

You just opened up one of the most broad based questions you could ask here. I'm sure everybody is going to chime in with "buy here" or "buy there" and you are going to see comments for jackets style bcds, back inflation, wing/backplate and of course everybody has their favorite manufacturer as well. The best part about all the answers you are going to see here is that NOBODY is wrong!

Every manufacturer makes a good bcd. Some offer features and styles others don't offer. Some have sizing patterns more attractive to certain body types than others. Metal D-rings? or plastic? Both? Padded and comfy or maybe no-frills hardpack? Take a few minutes to think about what you want your bcd to have or be and what kind of diving you enjoy. Then look at what is on the market.

I personally love a simple, comfortable, back inflation bcd with weight integration and padding in all the right places. It's got attachment points to secure my octo and console as well as places to hook my slates and a light or my camera. It is made by one of the more commona manufacturer's of scuba equipment and I couldn't recommend it more for the person who wants exactly what I just described. But the person who is dead set on a backplate and wing would think I'm nuts. The person comfy with their jacket is going to think I'm crazy. But that's okay.

Narrow down your thoughts, look around and even ask a few folks and you should be able to make a choice that works best for you. You can see many great choices (here comes the shameless plug-sorry, it's what I do. :D ) http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear/Buoyancy-Compensators.html and if you have any questions we'd be happy to give you a hand.

Good Luck!

I second the Aeris Reef rider, I have read many a good reviews of that BC for warm water and traveling divers.
I use the Aeris Atmos XT, (current model is the Atmos LX) and I love it. It is the most stable BC I have ever used and think that it is well made. I lost track of how many dives it has on it, but I think it is somewhere in the 150-200 range and it looks brand new.

Since you already have experience with a jacket style BC, you should test dive a back inflate BC and a backplate/wing set up BEFORE you buy anything. In florida with all the tech divers around this will be easy...there are lots of places that will let you try something in the pool or rent you something for a dive. You're going to know right away whether either of those styles is an improvement for you, or if you simply want to continue using a jacket style.

If you post your weight requirements that would be helpful too. For example, if you currently dive with 8-10lbs on a belt, it's possible you could dive with little or no lead using a steel plate and a small wing.

Would VERY highly recommend Cressi-Sub Aqualight R.

Before I bought it last year I did a lot of research in finding a warm water BC which is easy to travel with.

This BC is awesome, very reasonably priced and has lots of features. Double tank bands, 3 exhaust valves, large pockets, weight integrated using a snap release system. Keeps me upright on the surface too. Check out the price at LeisurePro.

Love it,

Sy

Hoohooker:
Mates,

I've been diving with the same Seaquest BC for many years and it is finally time to replace it. Trouble is I haven't been keeping up with the the makes and models of BCs as I have not been in the market for one until now so I need recommendations. I'm a warm water diver (Florida and Bahamas) and I've been diving for most of my life. I don't need anything fancy...comfort while diving is the most important factor. I've never used weight integration, but I'd give it a shot if it's highly recommended. Thanks for any help.

Hoohooker:
Mates,

I was in your boat about 2 months ago, used same BC for 20+ years & it finally went Ka-Put......Ordered a Zeagle Scout (for $215, back inflate-- my old one was a 'regular' vest type)...You will love this one, is exactly how you described ie not fancy & I use it as a partial weight intergrated ie 6 lbs in the BC & 6 on my weight belt......see link....

You will not go wrong(have 24 deep Little Cayman/Flower Garden dives with it in the last 2 weeks)).....

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-3/005630/Zeagle-Scout-BC.html

Definitely take a look into a backplate and wing system. Do some research. Might be a great alternative for you as well.

BP/W is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom