Need BC recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver:
BP/W is the way to go.

My BC is too big for me, so I will be in the market soon for a new one. My dive buddy wears a BP/W, but when I mention maybe getting one to my former dive instructor, he says that a BP/W is for tech divers. I don't ever intend to be a tech diver, but what's the big deal with my wearing a BP/W if that's what I'm comfortable in? To my way of thinking it shouldn't matter what you wear as long as it helps you be a good diver, right?

Jocasseegirl:
My BC is too big for me, so I will be in the market soon for a new one. My dive buddy wears a BP/W, but when I mention maybe getting one to my former dive instructor, he says that a BP/W is for tech divers. I don't ever intend to be a tech diver, but what's the big deal with my wearing a BP/W if that's what I'm comfortable in? To my way of thinking it shouldn't matter what you wear as long as it helps you be a good diver, right?

It sounds like you instructor has some personal issues to work out. a BP/W is just another type of BC. The reason so many people like them is because you can adjust or change ($15) the webbing to fit any diver. You can choose the wing that fits your diving perfectly. If you change your diving type, you can change the wing only. Cheaper than buying a whole new BC, and the straps are still adjusted perfectly for you. You can even choose the style of webbing you like best (hog or adjustable).

The BP/W even helps your trim in the water.

If your instructor is intimidated by you switching to a BP/W, then change instructors.

FD

Jocasseegirl:

Ah the comfort of 2" nylon webbing and a plate of aluminum or steel. . . Jocasseegirl, you're in the catagory of "hard to fit" Your instructor is Right, pointing out a BackPlate and Wing will adapt to Tech diving needs, multiple tanks etc. But they can't approach the comfort of a well fitting BC. Some dive companies offer 3 sizes of BC's, other companies offer 7 sizes. A BC that is form fit to your body type will fit like a form fit jacket or shirt. . . strap a plate of metal to your back and compare the comfort.

In your area of diving, try several dive shops to compare brands. Zeagle or Scubapro or Aqualung may have a good fit for you. They will carry one tank with more comfort than a plate. . . Just like other clothes you buy, choose the maker that has a pattern to fit you. If you haven't gotten a wetsuit, the same problem of fit applies here too. Some makers make the pattern fit "average people, some give some variety in patterns. . . Choose the right brand, and you will be comfortable. If you need to carry 3 or 4 tanks then you have lots of people here to tell you what to do.

mudhole:
Ah the comfort of 2" nylon webbing and a plate of aluminum or steel. . . Jocasseegirl, you're in the catagory of "hard to fit" Your instructor is Right, pointing out a BackPlate and Wing will adapt to Tech diving needs, multiple tanks etc. But they can't approach the comfort of a well fitting BC. Some dive companies offer 3 sizes of BC's, other companies offer 7 sizes. A BC that is form fit to your body type will fit like a form fit jacket or shirt. . . strap a plate of metal to your back and compare the comfort.

This is totally misleading; the way a BP/W (or a BC) feels in the water has nothing to do with trying it on like a backpack. "Comfort" in the water for many divers is the feeling of diving with nothing on. This is often best achieved with, guess what, 2" webbing and a metal plate which holds the tank.

mattboy:
This is totally misleading; the way a BP/W (or a BC) feels in the water has nothing to do with trying it on like a backpack. "Comfort" in the water for many divers is the feeling of diving with nothing on. This is often best achieved with, guess what, 2" webbing and a metal plate which holds the tank.

Exactly right. And what happens when you want to change how you dive, or you gain weight, or you loose weight. That perfect, form-fitted, gas-bag doesn't fit anymore.

Dive with several types. Just don't confuse land "comfort" with water "comfort" or stability for that matter.

FD

My vote is for the Scubapro Knighthawk.

Bruce3:
BP/W or your a :dork2: diver! jk but you should give it a try you may like it.

I'm on a Balance BC with about 25 dives, and I don't feel like a dork.

fire_diver:
That perfect, form-fitted, gas-bag doesn't fit anymore.

Gas bag??!? A BP/W has a gas-bag. So you're argument must be form-fitted vs non form-fitted. It's not clear what your argument is but form-fitted or not form fitted is all that makes sense.

Form-fitted would only apply to jacket style BCD's so I it appears you advocate back inflation. You sure don't need a metal backplate to have a back inflation bc.

Back
Top Bottom