Need bag recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glashoppah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been using a rolling sports duffle for a few years that has some cool features, but I finally had to take some weights with me on a trip and the bag just broke (I'm on that trip right now and have to get a bag ASAP). It couldn't handle 65 pounds of gear and lead. The base snapped and I had to drag the thing 1/4 mile thru an airport. It was the most exercise I've had in 5 years. Thought I was going to have a heart attack. I know this thing won't make it back home.

The good news is I'm in Fort Lauderdale and there appears to be plenty of places near me to buy gear. So let me have it - I need your recommendations.

Requirements:

1. Must be able to handle a full set of dive gear including a 2mm shorty and 26 pounds of lead.
2. I'd prefer it not have too many specialized "pockets" - for example, the silly "fin pockets" on some dive bags are skinny and won't accept my Scubapro XL Jet Fins.
3. Must roll and have a handle.
4. Must last longer than 1 dive trip, including handling by airport personnel. :)

Money isn't as important as built-like-a-tank durability.

H.

If you can afford it, a Stahlsac bag is one of the best bags you can buy! And it'll last a long time. Built like a brick you-know-what.

Lets keep this rollin... How about the Stahlsac Jamaincan Smuggler? Nobody local has it so I cant try it out. It is the shortest and fatest of all that I looed at... not sure if being that fat it will be a pain to carry with the handles (as opposed to rolling).

Locally I was able to find:

Deep Sea Travelok 750 - seems like enough room for me and dont see any downside.

Aqualung 850 - Bigger and seems pretty nice. I like that the sides have a little padding and the fins fit in the side to offer a little protection to the innards. Also we weighed it at 8lbs.

Akona Deluxe Roller - Gets very mixed reviews (as do most Akona's), with many saying it doesnt hold up to airline abuse. Looks smallest of the three.

I will swing by REI tomorrow and see what they have, but none of the local travel or sports stores had anything suitable.

Anything else I should really look at? XS Scuba Roller Duffel gets good reviews.

Low price is always nice, but I hope not to go much over $150 on this (the above bags range from $160-$180).

Anyone have experience with any of the above with yeh or neh votes?

Lets keep this rollin... How about the Stahlsac Jamaincan Smuggler? Nobody local has it so I cant try it out. It is the shortest and fatest of all that I looed at... not sure if being that fat it will be a pain to carry with the handles (as opposed to rolling).

I bought the Jamaican Smuggler and really like it. If you don't load it up too much it is possible to carry by hand, but it is not easy by any means. It's really meant for rolling.

That said, I carry my full set of gear easily in that bag. With my drysuit gear it ends up weighing over 60 lbs which I can't carry by one hand. But the bag has 4 handles in various places and it's always possible to get a good grip with 2 hands, which makes it much easier to maneuver the bag into rolling position, in and out of cars etc.

The bag is very well designed wrt. compression straps, access zipper etc.

Great bag in short. Weighs 9 lbs by itself, and is *much* sturdier than other bags claiming light weight.

Henrik

I just ordered the Jamaican Smuggler. There were enough good reviews to get it sight unseen. I like that it has compression straps - seems to be rare in these duffels but def. is an advantage. I'm 5'8" on a good day, so the complaints from taller guys about the pull handle length dont apply. Going on 3wks to Indonesia in a couple weeks so I will report as to how it holds up. Also ordered the Akona Deluxe Mesh Backpack for to/fro boat (and for snorkel trips with the wife).

The guy at scuba.com said they have a lifetime repair policy, including airline damage. Dont really see this on their website - but since they say they do some stuff for Tumi under private labels I can believe it. Anyone have experience with this? (Airline baggage handlers seem to be getting worse and worse - although really it is the TSA I think doing the damage - repacking bags after they search for the goods stuff. I have had more damage in the past couple years than in all my travels beforehand).

I still wanna know why the OP had to carry 26lbs of lead to Ft Lauderdale...

:confused:

In the original post "there appears to be plenty of places to buy gear" so there would have been plenty of places to rent weights.

Direct Dive Gear have a large range of bags for dive gear and accessories available. Whether you want a havy duty wheeled case for the airport, or something to put your mask and snorkel in, we should have something to fit the bill. directdivegear.com

Back
Top Bottom