Need an octopus and guages.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Man J

Reaction score
I have recently gotten my first regulator. I now need to get some guages and an octopus to complete my rig. I was hoping I could get some feedback from all of you as to what makes sense and where I am screwing up.

For an octopus I was looking at either the Dacor Eagle Octopus, the Mares MR12 Octopus, or the Aqualung XLC Octopus. I have an Aqualung Titan LX Supreme regulator. Each of the octopus that I mention are in relatively the same price range, but not sure if one is better then the other.

As for guages...I have a Vyper wrist mount computer, but want a 3 console set of guages, pressure, depth, and a compass. I have looked at the following models:
Dacor Endo Console w/compass
Cressi-Sub Mini 3 guage console
Genisis 3 guage inline Console
Oceanic 3 guage Navcon Console
Tusa Double Gauge Pressure & Compass
Sherwood Compact Navigational 3 Gauge Console with Compass - Not sure on this one though.

Again, each are within the same price range. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Just buy the same make second as what you have now. It makes servicing easier. Also, it doesn't have to say "octopus" to be used as one.

IMO you are making a giant step backward going from a wrist mount computer to a console. They are big, bulky, get in the way, and you don't need all those in front of you all the time.

MD

MechDiver:
Just buy the same make second as what you have now. It makes servicing easier. Also, it doesn't have to say "octopus" to be used as one.

IMO you are making a giant step backward going from a wrist mount computer to a console. They are big, bulky, get in the way, and you don't need all those in front of you all the time.

MD

As far as the octopus goes, thank you. I figured I should go with the Aqualung. But as for gauges, what are my other options? I figure I need to get a pressure gauge and I am only familiar with console type gauges. I also want to get a compass, and would ideally, like a back up depth gauge for the computer. What would you suggest for me? Thanks again for your help.

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=8667&prmenbr=946

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=41402&prmenbr=946

That's all you need. Keep that stowed somewhere, you only need to look at it every few minutes. If you have an attachment point somewhere on your left side, use a fairly short HP hose and just keep it clipped off there with a bolt snap. Keep the Vyper on your left wrist and put a compass on your right wrist.

Dive Man J:
As far as the octopus goes, thank you. I figured I should go with the Aqualung. But as for gauges, what are my other options? I figure I need to get a pressure gauge and I am only familiar with console type gauges. I also want to get a compass, and would ideally, like a back up depth gauge for the computer. What would you suggest for me? Thanks again for your help.

jonnythan pretty well summed up the SPG. I don't really like wrist mounted compasses, but agree you should stay with the Vyper. I wear my computer/bottom timer on my right arm, but whatever works for you. A compass can be put on a retractor, kept in a pocket, or worn on the wrist. Depending on your dive, a compass may or may not be needed and is one reason I don't like them on my arm. Another is they are quite high and hang up on webbing.

MD

jonnythan:
http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=8667&prmenbr=946

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=41402&prmenbr=946

That's all you need. Keep that stowed somewhere, you only need to look at it every few minutes. If you have an attachment point somewhere on your left side, use a fairly short HP hose and just keep it clipped off there with a bolt snap. Keep the Vyper on your left wrist and put a compass on your right wrist.

Thank you for the help. I never would have thought about what you suggested. It seems to make much more sense though. I do have a question, please bare with me. How do I hook up the pressure gauge? Can I purchase hosing that will support it? Also, do you think I should have an analog depth gauge as a back up to the computer? Is that even necessary?
Thanks again.

Dive Man - I don't mean this as an insult, but have you finished your certification? Because the difference between an SPG and a dive computer is pretty basic stuff that should have been covered off in your OW classes. The Vyper isn't air integrated - it won't tell you how much pressure you have remaining in your tank.

This is relevant, only because if you haven't got a lot of dives, I would avoid making major gear purchases. The only thing worse than buying gear is buying crappy gear and then having to re-purchase all over again to get the stuff you discover you REALLY need.

Boogie711:
Dive Man - I don't mean this as an insult, but have you finished your certification? Because the difference between an SPG and a dive computer is pretty basic stuff that should have been covered off in your OW classes. The Vyper isn't air integrated - it won't tell you how much pressure you have remaining in your tank.

This is relevant, only because if you haven't got a lot of dives, I would avoid making major gear purchases. The only thing worse than buying gear is buying crappy gear and then having to re-purchase all over again to get the stuff you discover you REALLY need.

Boogie, 1, yes I finished my dive certification. 2. I am not asking what the difference between an SPG and a dive computer is. What I am asking is if it was necessary or rather resonable to have a back up analog DEPTH gauge for the dive computer. 3. I did not want an air integrated computer, which is why I went with the Vyper. My overall issue was to ask people's suggestions on what else they carry besides a wrist mounted computer. I am trying to make informed decisions on gear, before I make any purchases for the rest of my rig. I would suggest reading what was writen before making your comments.

regarding your choice of an octopus or actually it should be called your safe second and it should be equal to if not better than your primary, most people make the mistake of buying a lower performing reg because you rarely use it. In most OA situations whoever it is will normally go for the "working" reg-that's the one in your mouth, either way if you need to grab it or hand it off in a potential panic situation the last thing you want is to be sucking at a reg like a hoover trying to get gas. I also think you should back of when you talk to somebody who is trying to help you.

Deepblue, I do appreciate you help in deciding on an octo. What you said has been on the back of my mind which is why I have waited on purchasing it. Also, I have completely changed my mindset in how I am going to set up my alternate gauges due to the responses I got. I do really appreciate everyone's advice as I want to be sure that I get the best possible equipment. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom