need advise on live aboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ff1455

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Wanting to take a vacation on a livaboard and seeking advise and suggestions from fellow divers who have actually been on a livaleaboard before, suggestions on the different boats as to which you prefer for value and experiance which locations would be best and any other advise you care to share this will be my first dive exclusive vacation and probably my last for awhile due to cost its gonna be a once in a life time experiance that I have and will be saving for for somtime so I really want to do my homework and make the right decision also my nondiving wife will be joining me so smething that she can enjoy while not being a diver is a must, thanks for any and all tips and suggestuons

I've only dove with one live aboard - the Aqua Cat out of Nassau. Can't say enough to recommend it since the service, the dives, the food, the size of the boat were all excellent (that said, it's built for about 20 divers but there were only about 10 on it at the time). It does stay out at sea for the trip but runs excursions during the dives for non-divers or sit-outs. If your wife wants to get away from land for a while, perhaps snorkel a bit and then do the various excursions, this boat might work out. There's plenty of living space on the boat for relaxing in, plus sun decks.

I cannot begin to estimate how many liveaboards there are in countless locations around the world, so you are asking a huge question. I suspect you will get so many varied answers it will be hard to make ameaningful decision. I will try, though.

There are at least two things to consider in your case: what is good for you and what is good for your wife.

With your level of experience, you may find trips to more challenging locations like the Galapagos might not be the best.

If your wife is planing to be on the boat with you and wants to have a good time, you are much more limited. Of the four liveaboard trips I have taken, my wife would have had nothing to do but sit on the boat and read on three of them. The fourth, however, was one one of the best trips of her life. It was on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia. On the outer reef where the liveaboards go, the reef is so shallow it breaks the surface in places. It was the best snorkeling of my wife's life, and she may have been in the water more than I was. In addition, I only had about 50 dives when I went there, and it was well within my ability level. There were others on the boat with far less experience than I. For all those reasons, my recommendation would be for a trip on the Great barrier Reef.

I would consider several things: what level of "luxury" do you want on the boat? - they range from shared bathrooms and people sleep in bunks and eat buffet style to private bedrooms with private bathrooms and meals served at the table. Then what kind of diving do you want- what do you most want to see and of course, what is your diving level and physical level. There used to be a liveaboard in the BVI's that was on a catamaran and did a lot of sailing and had kayaks on board for on shore exploring. They did not offer as many dives as I would have liked and were restrictive (only 45 min dives) but it might be a good choice so both of you are happy.

Live-a-boards are perhaps the best way to dive.

However, can be a challenge for a non-diver.

shmuggy's idea about the BVI's is a good one.

Do one that offers shore excursions, like the one Boulder John pointed out.

There used to be a liveaboard in the BVI's
There still is: Scuba Diving Live-aboard in the British Virgin Islands

Another considerably more expensive option - you did say once in a lifetime... Paul Gauguin Luxury Cruise | Paul Gauguin Cruises - you'd probably be giving up some dive opportunities due to where the ship sails and docks. But your wife would certainly have things to do. And it is somewhat dive focused also: http://www.pgcruises.com/onboard/activities

Cat PPalu also does some non-dive excursions during the week. http://www.catppalu.com/snorkeling.html
It's a smaller boat so take that into consideration - does your wife get seasick?

Explorer's NE Caribbean - Saba/St. Kitts - trip also has shore tour possibilities.
Island tours will be arranged at each island visited for those interested; further island access is available daily upon request.
http://www.explorerventures.com/necaribbean/index.html

Wanting to take a vacation on a livaboard and seeking advise and suggestions from fellow divers who have actually been on a livaleaboard before, suggestions on the different boats as to which you prefer for value and experiance which locations would be best and any other advise you care to share this will be my first dive exclusive vacation and probably my last for awhile due to cost its gonna be a once in a life time experiance that I have and will be saving for for somtime so I really want to do my homework and make the right decision also my nondiving wife will be joining me so smething that she can enjoy while not being a diver is a must, thanks for any and all tips and suggestuons

Since your giving very little in the way of parmaeters, I will suggest the following. I've been on the aquacat with another couple and she didn't dive. Very little for her to do. Also not my favorite liveaboard. Cost is a big factor and you don't mention your range. I've done Fiji, Galapagos, Kona, Cocos on liveaboards but would not suggest those for a non diving wife and also don't know if your able to dive those conditions. My suggestion is to do a cruise stopping at multiple Island destinations and either have the cruise ship set up the dives or set them up yourself. I've done this many times and have done just about every Carribean Island available. Also much cheaper than a liveaboard. You won't get the amount of dives as you would on a liveaboard of 3-5 per day but your wife will be much happier and your cost should be much lower. There is windjammer sail ships that we went on out of Cozumel that speacilized in diving about 8 years ago, don't know if it's still offered or not. They Limited the number of passengers that could dive and had everything set up with a local outfit to pick you up right at the boat. They had brand new equipment and a fully equipped stern ramp with all types of water and dive toys. At the same time your wife could go on any number of land tours while your diving. If still available the windjammer would probably be the best as they went to islands not frequented by the large cruise ships.

as other stated - very wide open question. We did the Turks and Caicos Aggressor last year and had a blast. Diving and the operation were top tier! great food and service for sure. They had kayaks and a couple of days you could have snorkeled. The chase boat went out on a couple little "excursions". not a lot of non-diving activity, but the hot tub on the roof was sure fun.

A good option for you in the Bahamas depending on what kind of luxury you are looking for vs. pricing, would be Lost Island Voyages. The price is $1290 per person. The Avalon is a 65 foot ketch rigged sailboat that takes out 12 passengers in 6 two-person private cabins each with their own sink and mirror. The boat has two push button heads, two showers with plenty of hot water for showers. The company is a family owned and operated so the owner is the captain and he is very accommodating towards customizing each trip around whoever he has on board. The crew is fun-spirited and always ready to have a good time with you.

The trip goes out of Nassau and dives the pristine sites in the Exumas and Elleuthera and sometimes down to Staniel Cay on a 7 day (Or check out their 10 day trips which sometimes make it to Conception Island and San Salvador--AMAZING). Really great trip and the price includes all diving, PLENTY of food, boose, and your stay.

Bahamas Scuba Diving | Liveaboard Diving | aboard Lost Island Voyages and the office number is 305-756-7762

Cuan Law is a fantastic holiday for divers and non-divers alike, but hard core divers might be disappointed with a mere three or so dives a day. Certainly non-divers will be very happy though.

Best liveaboard I have ever done (by miles) was the Truk Odyssey, but a non-diver would just go insane in Truk.

Next liveaboard I do will be in the Galapagos (my Dad just got back, and I was stunned at the array of stuff they saw daily). Can't speak to how much fun that might be for a non-diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom