Need advice - will my love of diving wreck my marriage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Need advice - will my love of diving wreck my marriage?

My advice:
(1) Speak to everyone in your area you know that have gone through a divorce.
(2) Determine from these interviews who is the best Divorce Lawyer in the area.
(3) Contact that lawyer and place him on retainer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(4) sell all your dive gear as a small down payment to lawyer.
(5) get a second job to pay for expenses assoicated with divorce
:D

When your stepdaughter is old enough, teach her to dive. I have had a blast diving with my daughter for the last 5 years.

Any particular reason you're looking to diving just liveaboards? I mean, you live in Hawaii... and you want to take a vacation to dive? I guess I don't really get that. Why not just dive locally when you can which would probably be less stressful on your marriage and certainly cheaper, then vacation together most/all of the time?

Pilots are prone to AIDS ... Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome. I don't know if divers have a similar problem. :)

How does the old joke go... there is a reason that "Diving equipment" is listed next to "Divorce attorneys" in the yellow pages?

How does the old joke go... there is a reason that "Diving equipment" is listed next to "Divorce attorneys" in the yellow pages?

Classic! :rofl3:

"Any particular reason you're looking to diving just liveaboards? I mean, you live in Hawaii... and you want to take a vacation to dive? I guess I don't really get that. Why not just dive locally when you can which would probably be less stressful on your marriage and certainly cheaper, then vacation together most/all of the time?"
Yes I know, I live in Hawaii and should be happy to dive here. But no matter where you are in the world, you always will want to branch out and dive new places. I've wanted to go to the South Pacific for many many years. I dive locally here in Hawaii but seldomly, I don't have too many diving friends right now and I spend the rest of my time with my family.

Greetings all! This is long winded and I'm sorry but any advice would be much appreciated...

I am a 28 year old newlywed and was married earlier this year. My wife and I get along rather well and her daughter (my step daughter) and I also have a pretty good relationship. I do not want kids of my own and my wife doesn't want anymore either - one of the many reasons I do not want kids is because I want to do other things in life like travel (scuba diving and skiing), save for retirement, have my sanity :), etc. Just to be clear - the vasectomy has already happened - so there is no turning back. I'm alright being a step dad because my wife comes as a package deal and I respect and embrace that.

For the past few years I have been primarily into golf - scuba diving used to be my vice but golf has been it for about 6 years. Now I am getting to a point this year that I will be getting back into dive travel. My wife doesn't really like swimming and has no ambition to go scuba diving - I really don't think I can convince her since she doesn't even like swimming.

We have talked about the possibility of when I take a dive trip (once per year or once per 18 months) that she could take a trip with her daughter to have some mother-daughter bonding time. My wife and I are very keen on the positive and negative energy levels of certain situations and when it comes down to it I'm pretty sure that me taking an expensive liveaboard trip to Australia or Palau or Papua New Guinea etc. will probably not go over well - all my trips are liveaboards (which I pay for by the way), not good for non-divers. The first trip or two over a couple years might go okay, but after that I see her getting tired of me taking those trips.

My worry is that my passion for diving (which I don't do that often I just save alot of money for) might lead my marriage down the road of failure. Have any of you divers been in this situation, heard of someone in a similar situation, or have any advice on where you see this going? Thanks all, and happy new year!

You can be happy, or you can be married. Can't have both...........lol :rofl3:

"Need advice - will my love of diving wreck my marriage?"

Only if you're lucky!

ok sorry, I'll shut up now.

:rofl3: :rofl3:

It's more like "Marriage can wreck your love of diving"

Yes I know, I live in Hawaii and should be happy to dive here. But no matter where you are in the world, you always will want to branch out and dive new places.

Amen to that. If I lived in Hawai'i my first thoughts would probably be: "Must dive with Manta Rays," followed by, "Hey, I now live that much closer to to Truk Lagoon..."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom