Need advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GimmeSome

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning on buying my first dive computer. I think my husband & I have settled on the Suunto Zoop but we are still doing research.

My question is, should we buy the same computer or should we buy a different one each? Will this mess up our dives together since the two would probably have different algorithms. I know people dive with each other with different computers all the time but since we are still new at this would this just be too confusing?

Thanks for the help!

Buy two of the same, your reasoning is dead on. If you are wearing them wrist mount I'd recommend putting them in DSS bungee mounts. Makes putting on and taking off so much easier. They also offer greater security buy using two indepent straps redundancy ie. unlike the standard strap pins where if one fails your computer will fall off your wrist using two loops of bungee this will not happen even if one fails. Hope that makes sense, it's late here and my brain is shutting off. Good luck and safe diving.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=48

The Zoop gives the best bang for the buck when considering simple dive computers
The phosphrescent display does not need a backlight .IMHO you should get two identical computers (perhaps different colours to keep them apart more easily) and set them to identical conservatism

I don't like display of the Zoop but I keep buying a new one anyway when my dog eats my Zoop or I flood it after a battery change.

See my review on the Zoop.

It makes sense to buy two of the same computer. That way, if you ever have to borrow his, you're familiar with it. In addition, you can both study the manual and understand the operation of the device, and what the displays mean (check out what it does if you go into deco!).

If you bought two different computers, using different algorithms, they might well display different no-deco times, even after the same dive. Then what do you do? Most people would say to follow the more conservative computer, which is wise, but if you were going to do that, why have two different ones to begin with?

Thanks everyone for your advice. Reinforced what I had already thought, just good to get second/third etc opinions! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom