Need advice on equipment package..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks diversteve, thats what I was thinking. You guys are great. Hopefully one day I can return the favor and have solid advice to help new divers.

Thanks so much guys for making me feel more comfortable with buying used Zeagle gear. If I remember correctly the dealer in Wilmington, NC told me it would be 75 bucks to service the regs, and 20 bucks for the BC.

Zeagle's gear is pretty solid, so even if the BCD is a discontinued model, it sounds like you're getting a good deal! Those are also pretty standard service prices. I think someone else said this, but you can definitely resell some of the things in this package if you're not going to use them. That will make it an even better deal :D

All that being said the secondary octo is not infact an octo like I trained with. It is located on the Low pressure inflater. I would not have a hose for an octo, if I have searched online correctly. Would a buddy diver, be a little nervous diving with me not having a spare octo on a separate hose?

Your buddy won't care... If he's really out of air, he's going to grab the first reg in sight (the one in your mouth). The real question should probably be whether you would be comfortable with your set up if this scenario ever happened. I didn't like this arrangement when I had it, but luckily real "octos" are really easy to find for cheap on places like ebay! You should be able to find one for ~$50!

I was hoping being that I spent $ being certified there, they would be a little straighter with me.
Shops don't usually make much off OW classes - they make their money by selling gear to the new divers they produce. Certainly nothing wrong with them wanting to sell gear and make money, they're a business. But you'll find some shops are straighter than others in the way they go about things, and it has little to do with whether you got certified there.

No because if you have to share air, you're going to use it. With a system like that you donate your primary 2nd stage. It allows you control over your buoyancy while ascending since it's your inflator and you're controlling it.

Treat it like another reg. - which it is - have it serviced along with the Flathead.

Agreed, I have an Air2 setup and like it. It is what I learned on and so I may be a bit biased but it works good for me. I would like the hose to be a bit longer for my size but other than that I like my gear set up. One less hose under my right arm to deal with.

Drove to my place at the beach late last night, and purchased the Zeagle package this morning, as it was about to get away from me. It all included,

Zeagle Escape BC with integrated weights
Zeagle Flathead XP reg (not flathead V1, owners man says flathead V1, but reg says XP. Same manual for both it turns out, and my friend was simply looking at the manual when he told me what it was. The V1 is dry sealed, and the XP is wet sealed, from what I read the XP is not much good in really cold water. Any thoughts?)
Zeagle octo-z alt air source
Aeris xr2 dive computer on console with compass, and SPG on backside
Adapter to change reg from DIN to Yoke
Body glove wetsuit cut off at knees and elbows
Full Body Glove wet suit (both are large, I could stand to lose 15lbs)
Shark suit (what he called it, its very thin, can only believe it would be just a little better than wearing nothing at all)
Carolina Divers dive bag
Orca Purge booties (my size)
Aqua lung fins
Mares mask (bottle of anti fog)
JBL Competition Magnum XHD speargun (needs minor work done)

That was the deal folks, Thanks a bunch for all advice given here, and welcome any more. Thanks Justin

Zeagle Flathead XP reg (not flathead V1, owners man says flathead V1, but reg says XP. Same manual for both it turns out, and my friend was simply looking at the manual when he told me what it was. The V1 is dry sealed, and the XP is wet sealed, from what I read the XP is not much good in really cold water. Any thoughts?)
Have it added when you do the service: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/zeagle/260432-flathead-environmental-seal.html
Shark suit (what he called it, its very thin, can only believe it would be just a little better than wearing nothing at all)
It is when you have to swim thru jellyfish - or pieces of jellyfish...lol.

Right on Justin, sounds like you are set. Have you had a chance to get any of it wet yet? Let us know how things work out for you.

Just one piece of advice . . . if you are going to use the octo-inflator as your backup regulator, please put your primary reg on a longer hose than the 24" that is standard. It is not comfortable to try to share gas on those short hoses, and if you have someone who has been out of gas, they're likely not entirely calm and comfortable to begin with -- feeling as though the reg could get yanked out of their mouth at any moment isn't likely to improve matters.

Otherwise, sounds like you got a heck of a deal on a full gear setup!

Thanks guys, will be sure to post up when I get to dive this gear the first time. I'm gonna be at the coast for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. (VACATION) I hope to get some diving in without a doubt. Monday morning I'm taking my new to me gear to a local dive shop, the owner and I are going to hook everything up, and give it all a good look over. Just got my permanent PADI dive card in the mail this evening, I'm so excited about diving, and look forward to learning how to be a safe, and very active diver. Again, I owe much thanks to you guys for great solid advice.

Zeagle makes great stuff, I have several FH VI and they work great.

You should worry about dry seal if you dive in weather with air below freezing. In this case the spring can ice freeze and cause a freeflow.
Otherwise i do not see an issue. All diaphragm regs have everything except the main spring sealed. Thspring is located nowhere near the cold area so is unlikely to freezup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom