Need advice on equipment package..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarheel brand

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi folks, I'm very new to the board, and also very new to diving. Actually certified 2 weeks ago. I want to go ahead and buy some gear. I've got a few friends around the dive shop and have asked there advice. They both are owners of all Aqua Lung gear. They have lead me to believe the best package to buy for myself are the Black Diamond, or the Dimension i3 BC, both are back inflates. They both recommend the aqua legend, or the legend LX. As an Octo the aqua lung abs was suggested. As far as computers go, they both have the Cobra 3. This package is going to be expensive as far as I'm concerned, but if its the best advice, I'll bend over and pay it.
My other option is to start out a little slower, I have a neighbor that I knew was a diver, so I called him with a computer question. He answered it, and also added he had a friends dive package that he is trying to help him sell. He went on to tell me that it was a Zeagle Escape BC, Zeagle Flathead V1 reg, Zeagle Octo-z secondary, dive computer is a Aeris XR2 with nitrox. Other misc stuff includes spear gun, equipment bag, and other stuff I already own such as mask, fins, booties, snorkel. The equipment has 2 dives on it, all looks brand new. The guy is getting out of diving and will sell the package for 700 bucks. Any thoughts, suggestions on this package deal would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Justin

You could do a lot worse for gear, certainly. Those are decent back-inflate BCs as far as BCs go, and the Aqualung regs are great.

The Zeagle package is good too. And it sounds like a heck of a deal. If you have a local shop that can service the Zeagle regs and you won't incur some sort of vengeful wrath from the other I'd suggest you jump on it.

Don't blink on the zeagle regs.. great regs and anybody can service them.

When you get around more technical people almost nobody wears the vests and will give you better advice. I'd go with the used gear so you can get into the sport and have more money to upgrade later.

Thanks, just spoke to a dealer in Wilmington, NC. Said he'd be glad to service the equipment, and even look it over before I buy it. Thanks for the advice guys, I want to jump on this opportunity, if its the thing to do. He is dead set on his price, so it must be a good deal.

Zeagle is good stuff, and that sounds like a good deal. I recommend buying used if the price is right and is in good condition, and you have factored in the cost of servicing the gear. Craigslist, etc is flooded with garbage gear at prices, that after service, aren't much cheaper than new. I went through a lot of gear before I finally settled on one configuration. Would have cost me a fortune if I bought everything brand new.

It is a pretty good deal. I think the FH VI was around $600+ new, OctoZ's are $215. An Aeris XR2 Nitrox in a wrist mount is around $250 now but when first introduced they were over $400. You can't touch any Zeagle BC for less than about $400 except for the Express Tech.

Does the Escape have integrated weights - IIRC some did, some didn't. But I could have it confused with another model. An Escape was a classic mid-range Zeagle model for years - recently discontinued. It doesn't use their Personal Fit System so it will need to be the right size for you. You can still see it on the Zeagle site but it's not listed in their current offerings. Escape - Recreational BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

Normally I'd say there's not enough info in your post to guess if any of that stuff is right for you, but the Zeagle stuff sounds like a good deal on good gear. Reselling any parts you don't want would bring the effective price down even further.

Your friends around the shop - do they by any chance work for the shop? Does that shop by any chance sell Aqualung? Nothing wrong with Aqualung, but you might not be getting very objective advice there, just saying.

If I don't do anything else right, it was a great idea joining this site, and getting advice, and opinions on the 1st post I made. The BC has the integrated weight system, and weight comes with the package. Yeh, the guys from around the shop are without a doubt pushing aqua lung. One actually works there, and the other is training to be a dive instructor. I was hoping being that I spent $ being certified there, they would be a little straighter with me. That being said they are a dealer, I was there looking to purchase a dive package, so they couldn't help but point me towards there product.
This Zeagle package I would bet $ on is in top shape, the guy that told me about it has nothing to gain here. He's a big time diver, trying to help his buddy get rid of all his equipment. When he tells me it has 2 dives on it, I believe him, infact he claims everything looks brand new. I think I'm going to jump on it. That way I'm a wet suit away from being geared up. Thanks so much guys for making me feel more comfortable with buying used Zeagle gear. If I remember correctly the dealer in Wilmington, NC told me it would be 75 bucks to service the regs, and 20 bucks for the BC.

All that being said the secondary octo is not infact an octo like I trained with. It is located on the Low pressure inflater. I would not have a hose for an octo, if I have searched online correctly. Would a buddy diver, be a little nervous diving with me not having a spare octo on a separate hose?

All that being said the secondary octo is not infact an octo like I trained with. It is located on the Low pressure inflater. I would not have a hose for an octo, if I have searched online correctly. Would a buddy diver, be a little nervous diving with me not having a spare octo on a separate hose?
No because if you have to share air, you're going to use it. With a system like that you donate your primary 2nd stage. It allows you control over your buoyancy while ascending since it's your inflator and you're controlling it.

Treat it like another reg. - which it is - have it serviced along with the Flathead.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom