Need advice on cruise to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please let us know how the DO was. I am going with a cruise in Coz and Grand Cayman the last week in February, and have been wondering the same thing. I have read that booking through the ship (Royal Caribbean) insures the bare-bones cattle boat experience. My buddie booked the trips, and it is our first post OW dive anyway, so I hope it is not too bad. With nothing to compare it to, I am hoping it is an overall good experience.

I'll be sure to give a report when we get back. I'm getting excited now.. only 3 more days and we set sail! Wish us good luck, good weather and happy, safe diving! The weather looks good... 87 degrees for a high on Saturday and water temps usually run close to 80. Yahoo!

We'll be there from the 14th to the 23rd staying at las lunas, which is a RB B&B i'm going down to "test" dive some new RB mods eh eh eh.

As such, I have taken the liberty of moving this thread from General Travel Discussions to Mexico.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Dive with Martin caters to the cruise passengers. He is typically half the price of those who are sponsored by the cruise lines. His shop is next to the cruise ship pier.

Five of us on a cruise with vary levels of experiance dove 2 dives with DWM in July of last year. We had a great experiance. We did use their equipment, it was all very new Mares mid-range stuff. They were very attentave and our DM (Paublo) was skilled and a lot of fun. Safety issues were handled very well.

We are planning a another trip to Coz. in July 0f '04, we are planning on using them again.

SterlingDiver

If you are coming in on Carnival, Princess, Celebrity, or Royal Caribbean, then the ships local Cozumel operator is Sand Dollar Sports. www.sanddollarsports.com

You can do a search on this board and others to read reviews and make an informed choice.

I hope this helps! Have a wonderful time...you will love the diving in Cozumel!

Scubadubes:
I'll be sure to give a report when we get back. I'm getting excited now.. only 3 more days and we set sail! Wish us good luck, good weather and happy, safe diving! The weather looks good... 87 degrees for a high on Saturday and water temps usually run close to 80. Yahoo!

Have a nice trip! You'll always cherish Cozumel.

Drink lots of water (and/or non-alcohol fluids) before your dive.

We are back from our cruise and had a great time in Cozumel. The dive op WAS Sandollar Sports and they did a great job. The crew was very nice and did everything for us. Changed over our equipment to the next tank, helped us get into our BC's, etc, etc. Definitely earned their tips. The divemaster was very good also and very safety-oriented. I felt comfortable diving with him. Our first dive was to 80 feet on the Santa Rosa wall, which appeared to drop off into the abyss as far as the eye could see (which was a good 120 feet or so!) and had a lot of nice swim throughs. Our second dive was to 45 feet on Paradise Reef which was a patchy reef with some nice coral formations where many HUGE lobster and crabs lived. We also saw an octopus, spotted eels, a sea turtle and a cuttlefish. Very cool. We had good weather as well. Calm seas with 82 degree water. All in all a good experience. I would definitely dive with Sand Dollar again.

Thanks for taking the time to report back. I am glad you had a good time and that Sand Dollar was a decent dive operator. A load off my mind. I packed up my gear last night, and we leave Saturday. I am very excited for my first post-cert dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom