need advice on career advancement in the dive industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gina Nicole

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Aloha,

Forgive me but its about to be a long story.

Im a rescue diver and underwater videography apprentice looking to advance. Right now Im kind of stuck because my apprenticeship of almost a year is not advancing into a full-time or even a truly "paid" position. Basically, they want me to stick around but aren't will to pay me, so I work at a resturant full-time as well. During the apprenticeship I was able to lead interns out on just-for-fun dives and I really enjoyed it. I have been looking into divemaster internships to further my dive training as well as a way to make a little cash. I would love to be an instructor at some point. Anything to get me in the water and share my passion with others. The most important aspect to me in regards to dive training is for some diversity. I don't want to be limited to only tropical clear water reef diving (which is most of my experience now) I would love some advice from the people who have been there done that. Is it worth looking into destinations abroad, or should I stay close to home in the USA? I only have experience diving in the waters of the Florida Keys and Hawaii. Staying state side could save a lot of money but abroad I could take language classes and maybe pick up a foriegn language. Traveling is another passion second to diving. All along the way I hope to improve my underwater photography/videography skills and possibly make money off of that as well.

I am waiting until July-August to take this next step, I am in the brainstorming stage and would love some ideas to bounce around. Im open to anything! Mahalo for reading and I look forward to any replys!

I would suggest commercial diving instead of sport diving if you want to make diving a career. Then you could do the low or no pay sport diving jobs on the side.

Very few people can make a living off of diving. And those that can usually don't make much of a living. And those that do make a little bit of a living don't dive that much because they're too busy trying to make money. So if you really like to dive keep it as a part-time thing. Once you make it a career you will probably not do very many dives for yourself. Personally, I schedule time off to do my own dives but to do that I have to have another source of income because scuba instruction just doesn't do it. It's not steady enough to pay the bills for most people.

Very few people can make a living off of diving. And those that can usually don't make much of a living. And those that do make a little bit of a living don't dive that much because they're too busy trying to make money. So if you really like to dive keep it as a part-time thing. Once you make it a career you will probably not do very many dives for yourself. Personally, I schedule time off to do my own dives but to do that I have to have another source of income because scuba instruction just doesn't do it. It's not steady enough to pay the bills for most people.
Just want to find out as many people say that you can hardly make a living out of diving, how much does one normally/averagely earn from diving? I am also thinking about quitting my day job and take up diving as a job next year depending if I can afford my DM and IDC internships by next year. My local shops would say that it is more than enough to make a living depending on how much you are asking for and what concept of "living" you would want, but threads that I read here always says not to make it a living. :confused:

It also depends on where you are trying to make a living. In the US most DMs work for the experience and get nothing in return except maybe some free fills and discount on gear. Instructors don't make much more. In resort locations instructors may be able to make a little money but most of it will likely be from tips rather than shop pay. And it will be very modest, not enough to survive on in the US. Most instructors in the US make just enough to break even with their expenses.

Evan
Do your research and you will understand the problem. What activities do you get payed for? how to maxamise those?
In Malaysia you can live on the Islands very cheaply and the dive season is quite long thats the good news.
Fun dives and OW certifications will be the norm for paying customers.
OW class sizes are normally 2 on the islands so quite time consuming for the financial return.
Commision on equipment sales, often the bonus on OW certs, will not be that great if available at all.
Video of customer dives may be another source of income when you are not teaching.
Competition is high so pay is low.
Now if you speak Mandarin and/or Cantonese that sets you apart from the crowd, add Russian and another European language and you will be in demand on the more expensive resorts with the opportunity for some large tips.

Look at teaching in KL or Penang, bigger class sizes, better chance for commission on equipment sales and vacations. More chances for AOW, Photography, Rescue etc. Less time diving in the sea, thats the downside.

Just want to find out as many people say that you can hardly make a living out of diving, how much does one normally/averagely earn from diving? I am also thinking about quitting my day job and take up diving as a job next year depending if I can afford my DM and IDC internships by next year. My local shops would say that it is more than enough to make a living depending on how much you are asking for and what concept of "living" you would want, but threads that I read here always says not to make it a living. :confused:

Ah! ok, now I understand more. I guess depending on where your working the living standards is different since in US the living cost is different from that of Malaysia or Indonesia.

So good thing i speak mandarin and a little of cantonese so I guess I am kinda safe for now. More and more mandarin speaking DM or Instructors are coming up. So maybe by next year the demand would be low. I guess the biggest income would be like getting a job in a big resort to dive more often and earn a basic salary.

With tough economies in Europe and elsewhere the competition is stiff. My personal recommendations are the following:
- working in the hospitality industry is a great asset learning how to deal with challenging guests and always keep that winning smile and attitude
- Languages help - the more the better. 2 won't even cut it anymore. Russian, Chinese and German are sought after
- Do not sell yourself short - decent opportunities exist. You just need to be prepared and on the constant look out
- Expertise with office suites, web design, marketing and mechanical experience also counts
- Be patient, willing to work hard and be a good team player
- Expect to travel

In a job look for:
- lodging and food
- flight allowance and paid vacation
- some sort of medical assistance
- enough of a salary to put something away at the end of every month
- Do not rely on tips as they tend to be sparse away from North America

You will travel, see the world, meet and work with people from fascinating backgrounds and cultures, live in beautiful places, have underwater experiences you will never forget and be smiling alot. I am sitting in my office looking at overcast skies and the now calm waters of the Indian Ocean. I have just had a chat in Swahili, updated some spreadsheets, and am about to go and dive with two nice guests and look at healthy corals, tons of macro life and the chance to see dolphins, turtles perhaps a sailfish. If you had asked me six years ago if I would ever find myself living in Zanzibar and diving I would have told you that you were crazy.

It depends on where you live. Compare trying to make a living strictly from diving in Los Angeles to making basic expenses in Greece or Spain - big difference is cost of living for those two places. I also think Los Angeles or a similar area where COL is ultra high, you'd certainly need other income streams. I could almost make it in say, Spain where rent and food is a quarter of what it is in Southern California. I would go to Europe and enjoy life - DIVE

Back
Top Bottom