Question Need advice on attaching pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
swimmingpooldivein

swimmingpooldivein

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

I just completed the SDI Solo Diver certification, and I'm having trouble deciding how to attach a pony bottle. I dive with a drysuit and Tusa X-Wing BCD. I'm thinking about buying a 3L steel pony bottle. My thinking on options:
  1. Mount pony bottle onto primary tank: my setup is already very heavy, so keeping the pony bottle separate is very appealing.
  2. Mount pony bottle in front: I do lots of muck diving (getting up close to the silty bottom), so I think this will get in the way.
  3. Sidemount pony bottle from shoulder D-ring to D-ring that's under the weight pocket: the D-ring that's under the weight pocket (see picture below) may not work because it's obstructed by the buldging integrated weight pocket. Also, I'm concerned that the pony bottle may accidentally unhook the weight pocket mid-dive and my weight pocket falls out.
  4. Sidemount pony bottle from shoulder D-ring to plastic ring that's at the bottom-back of the BCD: this may keep the pony bottle from accidentally unhooking the weight pocket, but I have no idea what the plastic ring at the bottom-back of the BCD (see picture below) can be used for, and how much load it can bear. There's no mention of this plastic ring in the owner's manual.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!

1721139169298.png
1721139318715.png

Sling it.

I think my tank would clip there ok. Not as cleanly as a BPW maybe.

There's some slack at the end of the harness:

1000018517.jpg

I just completed the SDI Solo Diver certification, and I'm having trouble deciding how to attach a pony bottle.
What did your instructor advise when doing the course?

Having two stainless steel D-Rings would probably be very advisable and sling it as per @MidOH suggests above.

You should probably invest in a BPW

Back
Top Bottom