Need advice - Get OW cert now or wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I've done a bit of thinking and decided that as much as I wanted to start the course in June, I'm going to have to postpone it... until the middle of July. I realised that with the fact that, at the time when I was planning on signing up for the course, I wasn't absolutely certain that I would have a job this summer, I just wasn't comfortable with spending the money before I have it. I guess I'll almost be able to see it as being paid for the first couple of weeks of work with scuba lessons. After a bit of stressing, it's probably a win-win situation, since I think the July course probably fits my schedule better anyway. :D

So I've done a bit of thinking and decided that as much as I wanted to start the course in June, I'm going to have to postpone it... until the middle of July. I realised that with the fact that, at the time when I was planning on signing up for the course, I wasn't absolutely certain that I would have a job this summer, I just wasn't comfortable with spending the money before I have it. I guess I'll almost be able to see it as being paid for the first couple of weeks of work with scuba lessons. After a bit of stressing, it's probably a win-win situation, since I think the July course probably fits my schedule better anyway. :D

Sounds like a good rational decision to me...except in July, you're going to wish you got it done in June so you could have been diving all the while. We'll just wait and see for that reaction, lol.

in July, you're going to wish you got it done in June so you could have been diving all the while. We'll just wait and see for that reaction, lol.

To a certain extent, i'm expecting that, but I play rec soccer in the summer and my team's schedule is very june heavy, giving me less time to myself to do nothing, look forward to (and prepare for) the next scuba class or whatever else I might feel like doing when I'm not working. Taking the July course will get me certified at the end of August, probably not ideal here, considering water temps in September, but better than waiting for next summer when I'd probably have similar scheduling/money issues. I've been looking forward to taking the class since last August when I did a Discover Scuba, so I think I'll manage waiting an extra 6 weeks. It's going to be worth it one way or another, I'm sure.

I'll try to explain this as best I can so I can get some advice more quickly and hopefully get closer to a decision by writing all this out. (hopefully I won't confuse myself in the process :shakehead: )

I'm planning on taking an OW class with a friend of mine and we're looking at a class that starts June 9 (it's a 6 week class, which we both prefered over the 1 weekend courses that seem to be more commonly available around here, at least in English). We've looked at a couple of shops that are closest to us that offer courses in English and found something that would work for us, though if anybody knows of any independent instructors around here, I'd be open to looking into that option.

We're both college students and I have a limited amount that I can spend (while I have enough for the course and personal gear, a successful summer-job search will make t

Although "now" is always more fun than "later", you might want to check with your college and see if they offer SCUBA. It will probably be an excellent class and would cost you little or nothing more than your current tuition.

Terry

you might want to check with your college and see if they offer SCUBA. It will probably be an excellent class and would cost you little or nothing more than your current tuition.

I've looked into that, partly because, while looking for something else on the campus sports complex's website, I saw a pic of a guy in scuba gear in a pool. Kinda suggests they offer a course, doesn't it? Haven't found anything though, so for all I know they only offer it every couple of years. As for price, tuition is peanuts here, cheapest in north america as far as I know, so the price would probably be similar (maybe a bit cheaper) to the LDS, but the course may be more involved.. if it were offered. Too bad, cause if it were I'd already be certified.

Mark, check out dives in Hawaii would be absolutely amazing, but I doubt they're in the cards (credit cards?) for me. I was there (in Waikiki area) in January of last year and will definitely be going back at some point. I wish I had known about Discover Scuba Dives back then, ended up snorkeling at Hanauma Bay, beautiful but crowded. On later discussion, my dad (a non-diver) claims that the diving around Hawaii isn't very good because the water's too deep so there's no reefs or something to that effect. Any thoughts on that? Is the diving better around one island than another (in terms of conditions or what there is to see) or is it equally good wherever you are?

I've looked into that, partly because, while looking for something else on the campus sports complex's website, I saw a pic of a guy in scuba gear in a pool. Kinda suggests they offer a course, doesn't it? Haven't found anything though, so for all I know they only offer it every couple of years. As for price, tuition is peanuts here, cheapest in north america as far as I know, so the price would probably be similar (maybe a bit cheaper) to the LDS, but the course may be more involved.. if it were offered. Too bad, cause if it were I'd already be certified.

Talk to the pool director. A lot of the time, the classes aren't well known or publicized.

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom